Karma Supra's HiLex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karma Supra's HiLex

I thought it was about time I chucked up a built thread...

It's far from finished, but its taking ages, and I'm doing that thing I said I'd not do, and getting carried away with other bits..

It's not one of Vince's conversions which have come the benchmark in such things... But it's my attempt and my approach, and my first Engine swap in a Surf.. (First engine swap for about 8 years too!).

so

The truck I am sure many of you are familiar with..

The Donor car.. 1999 VVTi LS400. The other side had a dented rear door and wing, it drove beautifully. 97k miles.. £421

Seeking a new home...

Engine 1 out.

Engine 2 out

Hole Cleaned

Engine ready for a tidy up, starter rebuild, new water pump, cam belt tensioners and a shed load of gaskets and seals....
    Last edited by Karma Supra; 6 May 2013, 14:50.
    More Lift.
    More Tyres.
    More Engine.

I've not seen this exact swap done anywhere yet... (closest is a 2UZ into a LHD 4Runner Gen 3) but from reading about VVTi builds, 3rd gen builds, and the odd Tacoma... I figured it would fit....

It seems to.

Started working on the engine...

From all my reading, there didn't seem to be all that much on engine mount design, just pictures of the finished articles... so...

I got the engine in place. I wanted to keep the transfer box in the same location so the shifter and props all lined up without modification, in the end I raised it 1" (billet mount on its way). With the help of some friends we manhandled the engine into place, got it resting on the hoist/bits of wood and measured it lots.

I make two flanges per side for the engine mounts, using the Lexus and Hilux ones as templates... bolted them up and tacked them in place..

Then made up the box section around them.

I used 5mm sheet steel.

This is how it will sit...
    Last edited by Karma Supra; 6 May 2013, 14:07.
    More Lift.
    More Tyres.
    More Engine.

Comment

I had a few other issues to sort out...

I am using the Original Hilux gearbox, The Lexus 5 speed simply does not fit the Transfer box. I bought a Lexus 4 speed too or parts (oil pump and input shaft)

I had to decide which gearbox to use. The Hilux one had the deeper oil pan, but the dipstick is in the wrong place so I'll need to swap it over. To make the Lexus one fit I'd need to swap over the output shaft (or grind the end off the Lexus one...) and tap an extra hold in the casing (no big deal the Hilux one has a sheered bolt anyway that needed drilling and tapping). The 3rd Gen has the shifter lever on the wrong side, so although looking at it the parts are swappable, I'd need to pull out all the gearbox valve gear, and that looked like a ball ache.

The main incentive usually for using the Lexus 'box is that the Lexus ECU will control it, but in my case that won't work either because I bought the VVTi and that only talks to the 5 speed, so I needed an aftermarket standalone gearbox controller to control it. I opted for the suprastick, its fully mappable with two save maps, and you can add flappy paddles (pointless, but if the option is there.... why not ) I know the Lexus gearbox is a more modern, les clunky design, but the aftermarket ECU won't make the most of the Lexus smoothness, and if it breaks... well I still have that option to go to!

Anyway... here is a flat pack exhaust...

I am running the factory cats... the VVTi ECU throws a fit if you don't, I'll see what it sounds like with two cats and that not all that large silencer, the pipework is 2.25"

I'd originally bought a nice shiny set of tubular stainless manifolds, they required slight chassis modification to fit, but once fitted found that the passengers side one rubbed the passenger top wishbone bush... I could have made them fit, but it would have resulted in a restrictive awkward design, so I decided to salvage the factory manifolds..

Flanges separated and cleaned up... Heatshield mounts ground off and smoothed away.

Some mandrel bends added

Tacked in place... Oh I got a new steering rack too

Next up I wanted to change the gearbox output shaft speed sensor.
      Although I am using stand alone gearbox management, I had info from a chap that races with these engines that the VVTi can enter limp home mode after a good thrashing if it doesn't "see" the output speed sensor. I'm not sure how this is true, but I figured the Trans ECU won't care how many teeth it sees, and I'd rather sort it now...

Luckily I have a lathe at the office, so I on lunch break I got the Hilux output shaft (silver) and the Lexus one (black) and made them one.
      Last edited by Karma Supra; 6 May 2013, 14:53.
      More Lift.
      More Tyres.
      More Engine.

Comment

Well done so far.
        Looks like that extra couple of inches between the chassis rails, compared to the 2nd gen means that the stock oil filter mount can be used.

Comment

Remember I said the aftermarket manifolds were close?

The factory ones are too... Too close for comfort really..
          This was taken at the last "trial fit"

OK so the camera angles exaggerate the problem to prove a point, but it's not ideal. I have since ground back the welds so there is about 5, more on the Drivers side, and trimmed down the washer where it is near the manifold on the bush (allowing for movement). I'm not sure if I should wrap the manifolds or not to prevent the bush getting cooked, there is lots of airflow there but its close.

I'm sure some will freak out at altering the strut tops.. From factory it is spot welded 2-3mm thick steel. that is seam welded 5mm plate. It's not a pretty solution, but it works, and it has been done before in the states with no reported issues!

I could have moved the engine up a little higher, but I like it sitting low, the truck is marginally less likely to fall over, and the transmission is level.

Some shiny bits.......

Hmmmm V8, taken earlier this morning..

I skipped out some bits but this is where I am!
          I also painted the entire chassis, added a Panhard drop bracket and adjustable bar, undersealed the entire truck body.
          Fitted a new 2" body lift, Replaced and Hammerited the fuel filler pipe, modified and painted the fuel tank.. I have some LED tail lights and an intercooler bonnet to go on too... That sort of thing!
          More Lift.
          More Tyres.
          More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            Well done so far.
            Looks like that extra couple of inches between the chassis rails, compared to the 2nd gen means that the stock oil filter mount can be used.
            Cheers

Unfortunately there is not enough room for the actual filter, - I thought there would be.

I've gone for sandwich style oil filter relocation kit, although I actually removed it from its packaging last night, and its pretty thick, I hope that fits!
            It should mean I can keep the factory oil cooler for minimal messing about though.
            More Lift.
            More Tyres.
            More Engine.

Comment

Brilliant read. I have enough problems just changing the oil!

Comment

Nice write up so far Charlie ...

11+ Years of Surfs ..... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !!
                Buncefield Burner

Comment

Looking great so far Karma. Can't wait to see the progress on this one. More V8 p0rn to whet my appetite, and encourage me to make a start on mine.

Comment

Cheers Folks!

This weekend:

Finish fuel tank, fit it, swap gearbox input shafts, replace transfer box oil seals x5, Fit gearbox, fit engine,

I also started parting and joining the two looms...

Christ its tight sideways!
                    More Lift.
                    More Tyres.
                    More Engine.

Comment

Excellent work well done
                      Brian

Comment

Looking to start my conversion using a much older Lexus engine... so fingers crossed your thread might help me out a little...

We shall see! Gen 3 currently has a 5vz-FE 3.4L V6 in it which I am replacing the head gaskets on - I want to prove the car works first 4x4 operates correctly, electrics generally ok- then drive the car for a bit and weed out any annoying issues with suspension, body, general electrics etc, do the body lift and those sort of bits before diving into the V8 conversion ... which will leave me with a rather handsome (known working and in good condition V6 to use in something else....
                        ======
                        Just gotta finish doing the next mod...

Comment

Excellent

Well done Karma, brilliant work. I worried about getin the engine mounts right but that is a great way you have done it, ill have to copy you there when i actually start to do it. Between yourself, Bushwhacker and any other V8 how to do info i should be ok. Love the engine colour with the black Surf, when you pop the bonnet people will actually wee with excitment and fear.

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

Sorry I need to update this thread... still not running, but very very close...

Work has been silly and sending me all over the place..

Only fab left to do is the exhaust from the rear axle back, and Power steering reservoir/fuel pressure regulator/oil filter relocation and airbox.

Wiring is 99% done.

I was hoping on taking it to a camping trip this weekend, but finished and MOT;s by Friday morning is pushing it, as I'm working all week!
                            More Lift.
                            More Tyres.
                            More Engine.

Comment

It starts!

Sounds rather nice too

A few more things to sort out before its anywhere near roadworthy... but it running is a good motivator!

The immobiliser that was worrying me was really easy in the end..

4 wires for the transponder coil/amplifier, one for the key sense, and one for the LED.
                              More Lift.
                              More Tyres.
                              More Engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X