Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake Manifold Gasket Change

Hi All,

I was hoping for some advice/guidance before I contmplate this please.

The intake manifold gaskets are leaking a little bit of oil. I believe the oil to not be too serious and fairly normal? There is no smoke out of the exhaust so if it's turbo seals then they are very early in the failure stage.

Anyway, my question is actually regarding the gasket change. In theory I just undo the 8 or so bolts that hold the manifold to the engine, remove, clean surfaces, put new gaskets on and refit.

However, I don't believe I can do this without removing the injector hard pipes. Is this as simple as it appears (undo at the manifold end and hold out of the way)? Do I need to do anything to prevent air injestion or can i simply prime the fuel filter using the hand pump before restarting the engine?

What about draining coolant? Required?

Is there anything else that needs to be removed to allow me to do this and if so - do these parts also require new gaskets?

Finally, I have sprayed brake cleaner onto the area when running and it bubbles, suggesting air is escaping. I want to prevent this (apart from the obvious reasons) before the we take a trip to the lanes in Wales to avoid potential water injestion problems.

Hope this makes sense and an experienced person can tell me it should be quite easy.......

Pic below to show the leak on No1....

Alex
    Attached Files

Manifold leak!

Tried tightening the nuts up? Just a thought!

Comment

Haha - yes, this is first on the agenda. Just not had a chance to get to it yet with a cool engine.

I hope that solves it but am not hopeful....

Cheers

Comment

You will have to loosen the injector pipes at the pump as well you don't want to kink them!
        Old enough to know better but then again.....

Comment

OK cool, thanks.

Presumably when i tighten the injector pipes back up i then just need to pump the fuel filter until hard to prime the system and remove air?

Or do I tighten at the pump first, then pump the filter until diesel comes out the injector end and then tighten the injector ends too?

I checked for tightness last night and all nuts are tight so unfortunately this isn't the issue....

Comment

The pipes on the pump are a real PITA to get at, I just primed the filter housing then cracked 1 injector pipe off when cranking the engine. as soon as you see diesel coming out simply tighten it up and hey presto it should start, might be a bit lumpy at first but my experience with these has been good no real issues at all bleeding the system.

Comment

Ah ok - good to know.

Does it matter which injector pipe i choose for this process? Presumably the one at the front of the engine is easiest?

Thanks mate

Comment

the easiest to get to! Or if your lazy and have good batteries just crank it till it starts!

Comment

Working...
                X