yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photo request! 3rd gen on 33s or 30mm spacers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo request! 3rd gen on 33s or 30mm spacers?

I'm due new tyres. I could find some modular wheels and 33x12.5s but I'm not too keen on doing the body lift. (2" sus already done) or I could just stick 30mm spacers on there and have a lot fewer problems. Thoughts? Examples z?

Really depends on what ya do with it or what ya want it to look like !! (Head turner Street Queen, Street Moded or Everyday Practical)
    Personally my Everyday Practical KZN 130 looks as tho it'll do what it's meant too .... Be it Cornwall, Salisbury Plain or Scotland ....
    Getting me from A to B as a Daily driver also Road Trips & Off Roading outings.
    With very little Mods, except for replacement Front Tubular Winch Bumper n rear also, along with no rear ARB n 20% stronger Rear springs & Free wheeling Hubs on the Front, all shod with 16" Black Modulars sporting 165x70x16 ...

16+ Years of Surfs .. n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !! So now only 1 ...
    Buncefield Burner

Comment

It's got to be practical - I don't mind it's look with the stock 265s but it could be wider for aesthetics ...

Slightly more:

slightly less

I've no real need to go to 33's but the cost of the 265 70 16 is as high, if not higher, than the 33s. 285 70 16 for example.

This looks beautiful:
      http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/attachmen...1&d=1394877365

But simultaneously illegal and requiring hammering, which seems ill advised.

Comment

285/75/16 on negative offset wheels.

2" Body Lift

3 1/2" suspension lift.
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

What offset? Did you need the offset for inner clearance? That looks lovely but it's inviting 12 points and £1000 fine by the letter of the law. It is exactly how I'd like mine though!

Comment

A little confused - I don't understand how the lifted surfs are illegal and inviting points and a fine. Mine has a 4 inch body lift with plans for a suspension lift and ballon tyres.
            Sorry but I don't get how it can be illegal?

This is mine how it looks at present
            Attached Files

Comment

Lifted is fine. Tyres protruding beyond the body is illegal under construction and use laws.

"(2) Subject to paragraphs (3) and (5), every vehicle to which this regulation applies shall be equipped with wings or other similar fittings to catch, so far as practicable, mud or water thrown up by the rotation of its wheels or tracks.
              "

If your wings don't cover your tyres, you're liable for prosecution. And yes people have been prosecuted for it, but there's a lot of mis-information about it on the internet. In a similar fashion, the IVA test for home-made cars and imports requires this and the car will fail if the tyres are visible when viewed from directly above.

That's also a lovely truck, can you give me more detail on the wheel/tyre setup and any problems with it (more than is in your profile)

Comment

Aha, I get it now, thanks. The boys in blue don't seem to be that bothered up here. All my tyres stick out by about 3/4 of an inch, the rooster tails in the wet are amazing, lol.
                As for my surf, it's a 1993 2nd gen 2.4 auto. Currently on its second engine ( new cylinder head and second hand block ) after the head cracked a while ago and I couldn't afford to swap a V8 in its place.
                It has a 4 inch body lift, leaving the suspension at standard height means that even though it's so high I can still throw it into corners as it doesn't effect the centre of gravity as much as a suspension lift would.
                Wheels are weller 8 spoke, think they're 7x15 but might be 8x15 and the tyres are 31/10.50/15. No problems with them at all.
                The surf itself is slowly dieing though, I'm about to start some surgery on it, replacing the turbo, exhaust manifold, fuel lines, ARB bushes and drop links, both bumpers and the radio. As well as adding more lights and a pair of rear light guards that match the bull bar

Comment

Yes there is a lot of mixed information on tyres...

the version I heard was as long as the tyres tread didn't protrude from the top most part of the arch, you should be ok... I pretty much comply with this.. the large arch gap makes it harder to keep track visually... combined with the fact that the body line tapers in lower down....

I've had those wheels and that sized tyre on for about 5 years now.

It is a bit of an attention whore, it makes a bit of a din since the V8 swap, and the plate sticks out a bit. Touch wood, so far I've not had a problem.

I don't actually know what the offset is, but its very negative... on all honesty, a little more that I'd like.. I have to run so much lift not to have the fronts catch on the back of the wheel arches on mid lock, but I loved the wheels, and a set of 5 is pretty rare, so I went for it.
                  Last edited by Karma Supra; 27 October 2016, 02:21.
                  More Lift.
                  More Tyres.
                  More Engine.

Comment

I like non compliance, lol.

Comment

Lol I'm willing to flirt with the law but not take it home.

Comment

Originally posted by Robot View Post
                        Lol I'm willing to flirt with the law but not take it home.
                        As a police community support officer for 9 years and having spoken to traffic officers on the matter your allowed to have the first quarter protruding from your arch but no more (its an issue with water spray when it rains)

thats in england thou not sure on scotland i know the police have different powers

cheers
                        Alex
                        Yes it's a V8, don't you know I'm loco?

Comment

The 3/4 coverage thing comes up regularly but it's not in the regulations at all, the regs say it must be covered. And I know at least once person who has been prosecuted for 5mm protrusion but it seems there's no clear guidance.

You also won't get through an IVA test with any protrusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Robot View Post
                            The 3/4 coverage thing comes up regularly but it's not in the regulations at all, the regs say it must be covered. And I know at least once person who has been prosecuted for 5mm protrusion but it seems there's no clear guidance.

You also won't get through an IVA test with any protrusion.
                            What's iva?
                            Yes it's a V8, don't you know I'm loco?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKzn130 View Post
                              What's iva?
                              IVA

Comment

Working...
                              X