V6 3.0 3vze cooling issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 3.0 3vze cooling issues

Bought a 94 4Runner V6 3.0 manual which is the 3vze.

Viscous fan has locked up ( already replaced the non existent silicon oil and the bi metallic spring is free and workin ) so ordered a new one. Radiator fins are almost all gone so got a new one.

Tried driving it home without the fan fitted and the header was slowly bubbling. From stone cold to 5 minute drive home at 30.

Refitted fan and no bubbles.

Passed cylinder head tests ( this doesn't mean anything of course ).

Since a lot of people run there trucks with electric fans is my truck overheating or does the truck still need the slight breeze the fan gives when free wheeling..

Cheers
    Last edited by Tokyo drift; 6 July 2015, 18:58.

Even in the frigid wastelands of Scotland the engine will need more than just passive cooling.

The viscous fan with electric back up is the best option.

Electric fan cuts in when the coolant is really hot.
    Viscous fan will move ( a lot of )air even if it is not locked up and at the set sensing temperature will lock up and move a load more air.

electric versus viscous is a pro/con descision.
    I run both.
    I am looking into pwm motor control relative to temperature.

Running the engine with no form of active cooling is asking for trouble.
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

I'm used to either older vehicles with fan belt driven constant fans or electric.

But the roar of my locked up viscous is becoming louder and more irritating lol

Once I've fitted the new radiator and fan, I will just have to pray all is ok!

Looking on the U.S. forums head gaskets are common on the V6 ( seems to be a common trate among Yota's! )

Comment

Working...
      X