This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.7 cylinder head strip down and rebuild

My truck started running on 3 cylinders and tried to make a sauna out of the exhaust.
    I've now stripped it and the gasket is blown.
    I'm listing a few bits of info and some pics to help others out if it happens to them.

Ok, first off, this manual was very good.
    http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/index.html

I got most of the info from here, just navigate to the relevant sections.

Using the manual and the pics I've uploaded you can change this cylinder head gasket yourself if you are confident and have some experience.

A few care points.
    1. Be very careful when you unplug stuff. Understand how the plug unlocks properly, don't just go getting angry and tugging on things, it will break wires and cause you more hassle. If the plug is very dirty then use WD40 and clean it, the unlocking tabs will work more easily.
    2. Follow the proper steps in the manual. I missed out a few steps that weren't needed to replace the gasket though, remember, this is a complete cylinder head strip down, we are only needing to strip enough to do the gasket properly. This manual shows cam gear stripdowns and valve removals too which I didn't need, so read and understand the steps you need to do before you get the spanners out.
    3. I removed the exhaust manifold studs as it was easier than splitting the exhaust. I used a torx socket that fits on the ends of the studs and they came out easily.
    4. Take plenty of good pics, it by far the easiest way to go when you need to see something as you re-assemble things. Lay out all the parts in a clean area that won't be disturbed. When removing the cams follow the manual to the LETTER! Lay out the cams and journals in order (see pics)
    5. The nut holding the intake cam pulley on is as tight as fook, I had to use an extended bar to get it to move and you WILL need someones help at this point to hold the other spanner on the cam shaft.
    6. TAKE YOUR TIME!

My pics with a few descriptions, use these in conjunction with the manual.
    cylinder head removal link.
    http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...ylhea/remo.pdf
    Head installation link.
    http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...ylhea/inst.pdf

I found the mounting bolts for the airbox here.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Koi; 6 April 2013, 07:04.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

This pic is the air/fuel intake assembly removed, take lots of pics to trace where all the plugs and pipes go.
    I left the actual manifold on when removing the head.
    Attached Files
    Alan

Comment

Cable ties are used to secure the sprocket to the chain to avoid movement.
      Marks are added to sprocket and chain as well (just in case!)
      Timing is set to cylinder 1 TDC at this point (see manual)
      Attached Files
      Alan

Comment

M6 x 20mm 1.0 thread bolt is used to lock the exhaust cam gearing before removal.
        Attached Files
        Alan

Comment

This is what you see with the rocker cover off, the real horror lurks below.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by KERRSURF; 20 July 2012, 22:07.
          Alan

Comment

The steering pump gubbings are easy to remove, you don't need to drain, or remove the pipes. Follow the manual and just move it to the side when it's unbolted.
            Attached Files
            Alan

Comment

Remove exhaust cam first (remember the gear locking M6 bolt) and follow the manual to the letter, DO NOT FORCE THE CAM OUT! You have been warned.
              If it doesn't lift out easily then bolt down the No3 journal/cam cap again and follow the steps in the manual. Mine lifted out no problem.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by KERRSURF; 2 September 2012, 16:48.
              Alan

Comment

I laid out the cams on clean cloths and laid the cam caps in order facing the correct way with the bolts in place. Inspect them for wear, mine were fine.
                No need to clean unless the oil is contaminated. They will get oiled when re-assembled into head for initial start up to prevent scoring or any other damage.
                Attached Files
                Alan

Comment

A look at the head once removed. You can see the valves are very clean above cylinder 1 where the gasket failed due to the water giving them a good scrub.
                  Attached Files
                  Alan

Comment

The block deck was inspected, cleaned using a Mac Tools gasket scraper with a new blade and some fine metal sand paper and some WD40 for lubrication. I used an airline to blow out any debri, the full cooling system will get a thorough flush when rebuilt. It was sprayed with WD40 and covered with rags soaked in WD40 until I go back on Sunday to rebuild the truck. This prevents any rusting occurring and trust me, they do rust very quickly.
                    Attached Files
                    Alan

Comment

I'll add any more relevant info as soon as I can.
                      Alan

Comment

Head going for pressure check and skim.
                        Alan

Comment

A wee note on the position of fuel filter, it's hidden away under the intake manifold. It's a black metal canister. Changing it when the head is off is easy.
                          I don't fancy tackling it with the manifolds on.
                          Attached Files
                          Alan

Comment

A fuel filter can be found on this list.
                            If you scroll down to the Hilux parts then go a bit further to the Landcruiser stuff you will see the 3RZFE engine listed. It's not listed as an option for the Surfs though.
                            http://www.japarts.co.uk/shop/Car_Parts/?make=TOYOTA

Fuel filter is here.
                            http://www.japarts.co.uk/shop/index....e_iid=1486&s=0

TOYOTA : 23300-79446
                            Last edited by KERRSURF; 22 July 2012, 21:39.
                            Alan

Comment

Valve clearance inspection from EM. After the head skim it's important to do this.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...alcle/insp.pdf
                              Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X