Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It appears Algy's have clearly washed their hands of it in the hope you'll just go away. You have actually purchased your vehicle from Algy's therefore your contract is with them, not the exporter. Algy's are passing the buck!!

Common sense would dictate that you getting your money refunded has bugger all to do with how Algy's purchased the vehicle, whether from an auction or otherwise. Equally the fact this vehicle has so many faults and issues makes it unfit for sale, and clearly it is not the vehicle originally described on the exporters website. That is not your problem, it's Algy's!!

Algy's could very easily before making any financial transaction with any exporter, insist on fresh photos of the vehicle before it's shipped. That could have saved you the end purchaser a lot of grief.

As has been mentioned above, CAB and trading standards are a good way forward. Equally, depending on the amount of money involved you could take Algy's to a small claims court. If you want to be really strong about this you could take out a court writ on them which effectively forbids them to keep trading until they have refunded your monies. Unfortunately legal action of any kind costs money.

As far as the original transaction is concerned you are in the right and Algy's are in the wrong. You did however accept the vehicle, have messed around with it, and clearly are reserved to the fact that crap happens!!

That is the fly in the ointment.

If you are stuck with it, and before it becomes a money pit, chuck it on eBay and move it on. You will certainly have to take a hit in the pocket however, it won't be such a big hit as keeping it or spending any more money on it.

You have been duped. Shame on Algy's, and shame on the exporter!!
    Last edited by Koi; 22 July 2011, 14:15.
    Now it's time to play!

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Piker View Post
      Well, the exporter admitted a mistake, even offered the importer a discount, but said the wrong photos were uploaded, the website it was advertised on are saying it's not their issue, I asked them to take him off their site as it appears this is not the first time he's done it, and the importer claims it was nothing to do with him and I couldn't have expected him to check it before it shipped, as it was not purchased from auction? To be fair, after some delay and badgering, he has tried to get my money back but has now just said I have to do it. Sorry guys, have kept off the site for a while because I didn't want to get all fired up and say something I'd regret. But I have to say that's the last time I use, or recommend, Algy's Autos. I thought their guarantee meant something, it obviously doesn't and only applies to cars they physically purchase from auction. And being a regular customer seems to count for nowt either (this was my 4th vehicle from Algy's). So lesson learnt!
      The Surf is still going, although due to a recent fall I'm not getting out much (broken heel!). The paint is falling of everywhere and it looks like a pile of poo, goes ok though. Still has some weird electrical faults.
      I feel for you mate! Theres nothing worse than being Stitched up as ive been There!
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Sorry if this sounds harsh Martin, but you are being way too soft here. You have been a victim. When you're talking about thousands of pounds, there's no ho-hum lessons learnt.

Write to them recorded delivery stating that they have one week to collect the vehicle and refund your money in full and that you will seek compensation through the courts if they fail to do so. If they don't pay up, start a case in the small claims court. It costs next to nothing and is very cheap. Whatever happens, report them to trading standards and they will consider criminal proceedings.

Whatever you choose, anyway, good luck.
        Last edited by Koi; 22 July 2011, 14:16.

Comment

All the forms & stuff you need to get yourself started should be found here:

http://hmctscourtfinder.justice.gov....t_forms_id=338

Form N1 gets the ball rolling assuming you don't get any joy from Algy's Autos (assuming it is Algy's? You have neither confirmed nor denied this but they were mentioned in a previous post) after the initial letter, sent recorded delivery.

From memory (some 15 years ago) I think it was about £50 or so upfront to start the claim and you get this back if you're successful in your claim.

Good luck!
          Last edited by Koi; 22 July 2011, 14:16.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sancho;725826]Sorry if this sounds harsh Martin, but you are being way too soft here. You have been a victim. When you're talking about thousands of pounds, there's no ho-hum lessons learnt.

Yeah, I'm sure you are right. I guess my belief in human nature is misguided. Having said that I find most people on here to be genuine, honest people. Sadly I reckon I gave Algy so much time to sort it out I have blown any chance of getting anything back. I have been scammed, not by Algy, but by the dealer in Japan (Lucus Co). My point was that having paid Algy to import it (and Algy paid the dealer) I trusted him to make sure I got the car I paid for. I am loathe to take it to court, because Algy is based in Cyprus I doubt they can do anything about it. I do hope he reads this thread though!
            Last edited by Koi; 22 July 2011, 14:17.
            Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

You have been scammed by someone, make no mistake. Firstly, their website talks about Algy's Autos Ltd, which is a dissolved company. Secondly, their blurb about the 'import scheme' says "When you have selected the used car that interests you (take as long and see as many reports as you like) we will try to purchase on your behalf. If successful we will then convey the car to our Japan Garage and re-inspect, pass further comments and a catologue of photographs"

They have either not done what you paid them to do, or they did the inspection and lied to you.

At the very least, and for the good of others, please report them to trading standards.

Don't give up on the court thing. Limit of liability for breach of contract is six years. I don't suppose you paid on a credit card did you?
              Last edited by Koi; 22 July 2011, 14:18.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sancho;725849]

Don't give up on the court thing. Limit of liability for breach of contract is six years. I don't suppose you paid on a credit card did you?
                I wish, direct transfer sadly. I'll email a link to this thread to Algy and see what happens. How did you find out it was a disolve company?

Comment

[QUOTE=Ace Piker;725850]
                  Originally posted by Sancho View Post

I wish, direct transfer sadly. I'll email a link to this thread to Algy and see what happens. How did you find out it was a disolve company?
                  Companies House.

Comment

Well I emailed Algy a link to the thread, I'm interested to see if he responds!

Comment

Well I emailed Algy a link to the thread, I'm interested to see if he responds!

Re name the thread with Algy in the title, will come up on more hits on google for all to see.

You paid him, end off. Your contract is with him, what he did after that is his own look out and for him to claim from them.

In fact I have re named it.
                      Last edited by Koi; 22 July 2011, 14:19.
                      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                      My choice
                      Back off

Comment

Just spotted this , Thankfully as was looking at some 3rd gens on his site, will now email him and ask if this his his normal standard of service.

Comment

Now it's time to play!

Comment

Shame on you Algy's autos !

Am i right in thinking the more you post mentioning the words "Algy's auto's" the higher up the google list he will become

Comment

Depends I think.
                              Algys autos
                              bad experience
                              not got what I paid for
                              etc etc etc
                              Last edited by Koi; 22 July 2011, 14:20.
                              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Algys autos
                                Last edited by Koi; 22 July 2011, 14:20.
                                ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Working...
                                X