Judder when slowing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judder when slowing.

Hi guys I've not posted for a while as well, the trucks been perfect since I did the cylinder head 3 years ago!
    I've now noticed a judder as I slow down, it's not the normal warped disc / drum as far as I can tell and it seems to go if I knock it into neutral as I slow down. Could the fault be transmission based? It does seem to have a fair old clonk when moving into drive or reverse that I'm sure is worse than when I got it. I've had a look at the prop shaft but can't see any movement there, any ideas?
    Cheers.

I am thinking that the auto gear box mounting might be the problem. The rubberised part of it wears, I remember it was the first job I did when I got this last surf. It is a Toyota only part I think.
    Worth checking it.
    Cheers

Comment

Thanks I'll get under it with a pry bar and have a look.

Comment

I have the same clunk when switching to reverse so I'll be watching this thread closely to see if you solve it.
        Good luck

Comment

I'm sure it's worse than when I got it and doubt it was like that when new. I checked the gearbox mount and although it has some surface cracks seems in one piece. One tip when checking it is don't use a telescopic wheel wrench to pry it down and definitely don't let it slip and smack you in the head.......
          I'm going to pump some grease into the UJ's on the propshaft to see it that helps.

Comment

So I greased up both uj's on the prop today and other than finding that they could probably do with replacing at some point, I've still got the dreaded clunk when switching to reverse.
            I don't know if it's any help to you but I guess I'll have to work harder to find the root of the problem
            Good luck

Comment

Did you manage to sort out the clunking noise? Mine has had the same for the last few months only does it occasionally, seems to be from rear. UJs are all good, as are AR bar bushes and now changed rear (and front) diffs, half shafts etc but still there...

Comment

My problem was the rear uj, it had completely blown one of the bearing cases so was rattling all over the place. I looked under my truck a million and one time and didn't notice it so give both uj's a good shake and see if they've got any play.
                Good luck

Comment

Both rear Ujs seem nice and tight and one was replaced a couple of years ago
                  but I may replace to eliminate them. Its frustrating as it hasmt really got any worse in the last few months but I need to sort it as Im probably going to sell the old girl soon.

Comment

Just as an update, got around to replacing the 2 rear UJs and clunking noise cured!! There was no obvious problem with either of the spiders and they got wrecked getting them out but guess some part of the bearing was failing and sticking. Thanks for suggesting it.

Comment

Not a problem, glad you got it sorted

Comment

Working...
                      X