3rd Gen steering rack nut/rack guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen steering rack nut/rack guide

I have noticed some play in the steering rack. Not the sort of play you get when the bushes need doing ( I have done those with the RT bush kit not long ago), more like play between the toothed rack itself and the pinion. Once you remove the steering rack gaiter, and someone turns the steering wheel with the truck on the pit, the rack end has some play.
    The rack ends are ok and were recently replaced.
    Is it possible to correct this by tightening the big rack guide nut on the steering rack? It has a few threads left and I guess it could be tightened, pushing the rack a bit closer to the pinion.

I didn't take a picture, as I should have done, but I am talking about the biggest nut on the rack as you look at it, on the driver's side.

On this link it is on the other side because it is from a 1996 US 4Runner. It's the big nut in the middle of the second pic in the post.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...-pictures.html

Any ideas welcome!

EDIT:

I am going to order the guide kit mentioned in the T4Runner thread:

End sub-assembly, steering rack no. 2/ Guide sub/assembly
    45504-35031-
    Spring(for steering rack guide)/Spring, compression
    90501-26074-
    Cap, Steering rack guide spring/ Cap, rack guide spring
    45524-37010-
    Nut(for steering rack guide spring cap/ nut
    90179-48003-

However, while i wait for it (my local Toyota garage will get you anything you want but you mustn't be in a hurry!) I would like to try and tighten the existing guide a bit and see if this reduces the play (without the steering becoming too hard). Has anyone done this?

Cheers
    Last edited by tashtego; 6 May 2017, 18:44.

Before you order parts suggested on that site have a look at this thread on the Aussie forum.

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewt...p?f=14&t=34207

I looked up part numbers regarding this and found the Surf parts are different part numbers. Post your Model and Frame numbers and I will check part numbers are the same or not.

Nev.
    Last edited by NiftyNev; 7 May 2017, 09:06.

Comment

Try tightening it a little and back of the half turn suggested and see what happens.

Nev.

Comment

Thanks Nev, that would be great.

My surf is a 1996 , VIN is KZN 1850018679, Engine number is 1KZ 306396.

I am going to try tigtening it as you say, tomorrow, and see what happens.

I have looked at the thread on your Aus forum, very interesting, it seems like the Kiwi guy found the parts mentioned in the 4runner forum, but others did not.

Cheers

Comment

Need you Model and Frame numbers rather than VIN or Engine number, although I don't think it will alter what I have found.

Just did some more research on those part numbers. Use the ones I posted rather than the 4Runner ones. They apply to the KDN185, RZN18# and VZN185 from the 08/'00. Now I have no idea what the difference may be, but better to order the part numbers as listed in the EPC for your vehicle.

Nev.
          Last edited by NiftyNev; 7 May 2017, 11:29.

Comment

Just been thinking again about those part numbers. There is "new style" mentioned, so maybe that is why there is a difference in part numbers. I wonder why the "new style" if better, is not listed for the earler models in the EPC. Going to bed now. This is giving me a headache.

Nev.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
              Need you Model and Frame numbers rather than VIN or Engine number, although I don't think it will alter what I have found.

Just did some more research on those part numbers. Use the ones I posted rather than the 4Runner ones. They apply to the KDN185, RZN18# and VZN185 from the 08/'00. Now I have no idea what the difference may be, but better to order the part numbers as listed in the EPC for your vehicle.

Nev.
              Thanks Nev.
              The model name is KZN185W-GAPGT (1995/11 - 1997/08), a 1996 Auto 3rd Gen Surf , SSR-G.
              I am not sure what you mean by frame number...The Chassis number is KZN 1850018679.
              From reading the thread in the T4runner forum, it seems Toyota changed the guide in 1998, to a solid convex type , without the rolling/moving bit (there are some pics of it in the thread).
              Since the new guide fits the guide housing in the 1996/97 surfs' steering rack, folks have been replacing their old guide with the new, 1998+ guide.
              I will check if those part numbers you mentioned show up on the main dealer's computer.
              I haven't yet tried tightening the existing guide, work keeps getting in the way, time to think of retirement!

Comment

The parts have finally arrived, will fit next week following the instructions in here:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...-pictures.html

The parts numbers are the same as per the T4R forum post.

We' ll see how it goes.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by tashtego; 2 September 2017, 12:21.

Comment

Working...
                X