2nd Gen Headlight upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Gen Headlight upgrade

I'd like to improve the standard headlights on mine. I know there are lots of threads about HID etc. (some of them quite old) and I'm thinking rather than HID with all the legal/MoT issues (not to mention finding a quality kit!), perhaps LED H4 bulbs might be the way to go? LED performance has increased remarkably in recent years so maybe an up-to-date thread might help people wondering how best to improve their headlights?
    Upgrading the loom is another way to improve performance, will it be more or less beneficial than changing for LEDs? Or would doing be both be worthwhile?
    Or is HID the way to go?

I have some spotlights to wire in as well but I'm aiming to improve low beam performance primarily.
    TIA

I did the wiring upgrade and it did make quite a difference. I may have done a post about it.
    HiDs are awful, they're bright but the light pattern is very much like a shotgun discharge, so you either angle them so low they don't make a difference or blind everyone else.
    I have never tried LED headlights.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Thanks for the reply Maverick.
      Some years ago I went down the upgrade path with my bike - first a "80% brighter" bulb, then a 100W bulb, then HID. It made a huge difference to the light output but ultimately the reason the light was poor in the first place was a poor beam pattern so while I gained more light, it was never going to change the bad design!

Comment

I Fitted 2 of these by "RING" H4 RW1072 Xenonmax from my local A1 Motor store n no problems @ £14.99 the pack, n no new wire upgrade ...
        Good luck

16+ Years of Surfs n 9 years on Spotless it ain't but Faultless to a "T" is my KZN 130 Yota !!
        Last edited by Diezel Weazel; 12 July 2017, 22:08.
        Buncefield Burner

Comment

I use LED very pleased with them too, buy the best you can afford don't buy the cheap ones of ebay they are cheap for a reason!
          Old enough to know better but then again.....

Comment

Originally posted by The Boo Crew View Post
            I use LED very pleased with them too, buy the best you can afford don't buy the cheap ones of ebay they are cheap for a reason!
            Got a link to a good brand?

Comment

these are similar to the ones I use, you need to keep around 6000k colour temp for nice white light anything from 6000k to say 8000k is more purple anything 5000k and less is going to be more yellowy if that helps

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-H4-9003...MAAOSwA3dYKYm1
              Old enough to know better but then again.....

Comment

Originally posted by The Boo Crew View Post
                these are similar to the ones I use, you need to keep around 6000k colour temp for nice white light anything from 6000k to say 8000k is more purple anything 5000k and less is going to be more yellowy if that helps

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-H4-9003...MAAOSwA3dYKYm1
                Thanks Boo Crew, I've placed an order.

Comment

I'm well pleased with the LED headlight bulbs, a huge improvement over the halogens! One thing I have noticed though is that the blue main beam warning light no longer comes on. Whether this is caused by changing to LED or is coincidental and might have stopped working prior to me changing, I don't know. I might put the halogens back in just to check, but I'm sticking with the LEDs!

Comment

Working...
                  X