Steering wheel vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering wheel vibration

Evening all, Ive just got the surf back after having a puncture for a week or so and I've changed my tyres from 35" mud tyres to 33" bfg ko2 all terrains.
    I've noticed that asoon as I hit 20mph my steering starts to vibrate but stops at around 25mph then it starts again at 40 until around 55-60mph, it seems to only do it used acceleration so if I'm at 40 and back off the throttle it stops.
    Has any one got any ideas on what could cause this? The only other thing I've changed is I added a boost gauge nothing mechanical or close to the steering so I'm at abit of a loss.
    Cheers all

Check that the wheel balancing has been done correctly first.
    Cheers

Comment

Wheel balancing, then maybe check the hardware for play, control arms back to the props/diffs as you say it goes away if you back off? Does 2wd/4wd make a difference?
      Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Had steering vibration on mine a while back. Was the steering damper. Original and well past it's use by date.

Nev.

Comment

If it was the balancing wouldnt it be doing it all the time? As it only does it at certain speeds and I mean bang on those speeds not getting worse up until those points.
          I'll have a check over alk the suspension and steering parts later but I wouldn't of thought any of them would of failed after putting smaller tyres on.
          Nev did your have the same symptoms as mine or was it a constant vibration?
          Cheers everyone I really appreciate the help

Comment

nope out of balance always comes in
            at one or two speeds and not inbetween
            the old git

Comment

Ah right okay thanks for that Bryan. Guess I'll have to get them rebalanced and see if that solves the problem
              Just on a side note to save me starting a new thread as I went to put the surf in reverse earlier I noticed I pretty loud clunk and it was doing it switching from drive to reverse, I guess the easiest thing to do is check the Box has enough oil in it?
              Cheers all

Comment

check yer UJs
                the old git

Comment

Constant vibration on mine which got worse above 60KPH. Was not game to drive above 80KPH.

Nev.

Comment

If its any help at all.... i had a vibration which was pretty bad so i investigated the wheels and hub assemblys and found that the preload on the wheel bearing was pretty loose... it had somehow slipped past the tab washer.... anyway i took it all apart and re installed pre loading the bearing quite a bit and it worked a treat!

Comment

So I finally got around to swapping my front wheels with the rear too be sure if it was the balancing that was causing the vibrating. Now I'm sure that it is, I've still got abit of vibrating/juddering at around 29mph but at 40 and above there's pretty much nothing, so I think for now it'll be okay untill I get around to getting my wheels rebalanced.
                      Cheers for all the help everyone it's greatly appreciated

Comment

Turns out I was wrong about the vibrating. I ordered some new uj's and finally got around to fitting them today and the rear one had completely blown apart, there was about 1" of play in it.
                        So I've changed that and my truck drives smooth as you like now with zero vibrations

Comment

Working...
                        X