Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation UK and Scotland

Hi all,

I was thinking of going to the UK and Scotland in the summer this year.

Anybody got some of the most secret local treasures to go and see? Some epic roads to drive or other must have's?

Cheers,

Jef

you seam to be saying that scot and uk are two differant places
    well they are not scot is part of the uk
    now if you want to see the best of the uk
    you will come to wales the finest part of the uk
    the old git

Comment

Hard to disagree, Wales is great, especially if you get some decent weather. Follow the coastline but also venture in the interior, Snowdonia, Brecon Beacons, and, in the south east, the area around Monmouth. In Scotland the isle of Skye is my favourite. Take a mountain bike and/or some walking boots!

Comment

North Yorkshire, Cumbria and Northumbria they are on the way up to Scotland, breath taking scenery and great roads.
        Old enough to know better but then again.....

Comment

Bin a few years ago now met up with some of the SMC (Scotish Mud Club) members on here up the old Cattle trail to Applecross n over the Bridge to Sky n back on the Ferry to Mailaig (spelling) on the way down is well worth the trip ..

16+ Years of Surfs, 9 years on n Spotless it ain't but Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !!
          Buncefield Burner

Comment

Pembrokeshire Coast in Wales is fantastic. St. Davids, Tenby, Cardigan, Barafundle Bay...

Regardless of how they want to vote, yes, Scotland is still in the UK.
            Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Cheers for all the feedback! My apollogies for the misunderstanding. I was just trying to adress two specific areas...

If anybody had more info, please do not hesitate..

Comment

Yes gotta agree with Jim, Wales is spectacular also & nearer too if ya pushed for travel time as is Cornwall also ..
                Come to that all of the UK has spectacular sights, but with Scotland we had people/ friends to show us the locations etc .. All depends if ya wanna sort of ramble ya way around or visit certain places I spoze .
                Enjoy ....

16+ Years of Surfs, n 9 years on Spotless it ain't but Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !!
                Buncefield Burner

Comment

Also, which coast is better in Scotland, east or west?

Thinking of fitting a part of Ireland into the trip. (causeway coastal road)

Comment

Long as you don't go to Leigh park first, that'll put you off going any further Cornwall is nice though especially coastal.
                    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Ive been to a fair few remote places in the uk and argyll in scotland has to be my favourite, take bug repellent if your going spring/summer

Comment

how much time do you have ?

I would just say how much time do you intend to devote to this trip ?

For what it's worth I would say pointless to just try and drive around parts of England plus parts of Scotland and now you say in addition parts of Ireland.

Unless you are retired and planning a two month safari I would say stick to Great Britain ( that part of the United Kingdom which does not include Northern Ireland ).

Nothing against Ireland, which has spectacular scenery, but simply it's yet another ferry with related time and expense.

And if you just have a typical two week break you could easily spend the whole time profitably in just one of Wales or England or Scotland ~not even two of the three.

Having lived down south in the past I have to say that for me northern England ( north of say York ) is just wonderful ~there is still some room to breathe here. There is nowhere I am aware of in the south of the country where driving remains a pleasure. But up north it still can be.

And I believe you have a direct ferry from Netherlands to Newcastle.

From Newcastle you can explore the whole of Northumberland, and maybe if desired pop up into Scotland as well.

Don't miss Holy Island. Don't miss Hadrian's Wall ( there is a road called 'Roman Road' which parallels it part of the way ~v little traffic. )

Don't miss the Kielder Observatory to view the stars ( said to be the darkest skies in Europe ).

Don't miss the somewhat timewarp towns of Wooler / Rothbury / Hexham.

Don't miss Alnwick for the town itself and for Border Books ~ a wonderful second hand bookstore like something out of Harry Potter. ( An electric train rides around the ceiling ; there are open coal fires ! )

For seaside don't miss Alnmouth ( just a few miles from Alnwick ). If you like golf even more so as there is a course which has the sea all along one side. And visitors are allowed to play.

If you want to take a break from countryside don't miss Newcastle upon Tyne itself : a stunningly handsome city, full of cultural interest, and which is small enough to walk around. ( And of course if you are into football then coincide with a Saturday match ).

Much to enjoy ! But if you have only 2 weeks don't try to do too much in the one visit.

Comment

Cheers for the information!!

Just came home from a trip to Spain. The intended trip would take two weeks indeed.
                          This trip the 4runner has hit 360.000 km.
                          Needs a new radiator and some oil 0,5 l in 3500 km.
                          Als trying to fit a RTT, which is not that easy without any roof rails.

I will keep this information in mind for august or maybe next year, when I have some more cash to spend.

Comment

Working...
                          X