Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help

Hi ive just purchased a 1996 (p) automatic gen 3 kzn185 surf and ive hit a problem! i was driving down the road and my gears would not shift up then lost all speed and stopped every now and again it will go in reverse and then drive forward for around 200m then stop. ive drained the trans fluid and replaced with new as it seemed very dark and burnt smelling. now seem to of gained a whine . would this be down to my gear box or torque converter? please help as this is my daily runner!

Damn! Burnt fluid is not good!

How is your vehicle now? There are a number of things to consider and very basic checks to confirm with Autos! Ill be honest this doesn't sound great, however sometimes basic things can help to keep things going for a while.
    Drain the pan of oil, drop the pan and clean the filter, then put clean fresh oil in.
    If your oil is old it will be black and have a pungent smell to it. But the oil even if black should be translucent or clear, if the oil is creamy coloured or like chocolate or strawberry yogurt - then I'm sorry to say the gearbox and Torque converter are history due to water ingress, which is probably the biggest transmission killer.
    The other basic check is that the shift detents of the shifter, match the detents on the gearbox mechanism.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM View Post
      Hi ive just purchased a 1996 (p) automatic gen 3 kzn185 surf and ive hit a problem! i was driving down the road and my gears would not shift up then lost all speed and stopped every now and again it will go in reverse and then drive forward for around 200m then stop. ive drained the trans fluid and replaced with new as it seemed very dark and burnt smelling. now seem to of gained a whine . would this be down to my gear box or torque converter? please help as this is my daily runner!
      Hi, did you get this sorted?
      Happy Surfing!

Comment

Working...
      X