Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator replacement

Hi there.
    My truck broke down on the way to work before Xmas, one of the scariest ones ever as I realised everything was going dark on a motorway with no hard shoulder!
    I've diagnosed it as the alternator with a volt meter, but is there anything else I should check on these Surfs?
    Has anyone got any tips for replacing the alternator - I've read they actually have an oil feed is that right?
    Also, I normally get my bits from Roughtrax/Milners, can anyone recommend the alternators from these?

Much appreciated.

Replacing Alternator!

No oil feed. Just take it off, take it to your local motor factor or even Halfords. Get a like for like replacement and refit. Job done! Remember to disconnect the live battery lead before starting the job.

Comment

2l-TE? If yes, then there is oil feed to vacuum pump. I replaced my alternator with one for a 3L (that's the 2.8Ltr engine not 3 Ltr). Vacuum pump connections are slightly different, so I just swapped vacuum pumps. Kept the new one as a spare, which should be ok if fittings swapped over. The 3L does touch a banjo fitting on the block, so this limits how much you can swing it toward block to refit the belts and makes it quite difficult. I removed the water pump pulley put belts over it and refitted. Don't forget to replace copper seals in banjo fittings.

Nev.

Comment

Alternator fix!

Aha, we live and learn! I was going by the setup on my 3ltr auto, which just had the straight alternator. Apologies if I caused any confusion!

Comment

Hmm....so not very straight forward then....

Thanks guys for your input. Yes it's a 2LTE.

Just planning ahead...does it require draining the oil? If so I'll wait till I have time to give it a proper service. So I need to order an alternator and what other bits exactly to get this done?

Why did you change it for the one from a 3L Nev? Bigger output?

Many thanks.

Comment

No need to drain oil. I used a 3L because proper Surf ones are only avaible from Toyota. Got an aftermarket for $500 which includes vacuum pump. Toyota was around $1500. I think the output is a little more than the genuine.

Only copper seals for the banjo fittings (2 I think) as far as I can remember. Make sure you loosen the main pivot bolt under alternator and the alocking bolt on top before trying to turn the adjuster to slacken off the belts, otherwise you may snap the adjuster bolt.

Nev
            Last edited by NiftyNev; 12 January 2017, 11:12.

Comment

Not the easiest of jobs.........

Well, I'm mid-way through this job, it's going ok but not quite to plan!

I just thought it worth mentioning should anyone else need to do this job, that there are 2 alternators available - onw with an oval connector and one with a round connector. Now I was careful to check the plug going into the back of mine to make sure I ordered the right one and it looked for all the world like an oval connector. It was only when you pull it out that you see the plug which is full recessed into the alternator body is a round connector.
              So now I have to wait for a replacement, the lady at Roughtrax was very helpful just now.
              Another observation - I have Haynes and the Australian manual - both are absolutely useless as far as removing and replacing the alternator. There is a write up on the toyotasurf Australian website which tells you to remove the windscreen washer bottle and the bash plate - neither are necessary as far as I can see so far.

Finally a question, I've had to remove the AC compressor to get access to the alternator. It's not worked for years and there's no gas in it, how do I go about completely removing the AC system? It seems pointless putting it all back.

Many thanks.

Comment

It's over 9 years now since I had a LN130, 2.4 n never ever used the AC so after replacing the Alternator I just replaced the AC unit (4 Bolts) n was going to install an on board air receiver which never got round to so never replaced the fan belt.
                Over 9 years ago I upgraded to a KZN 130, 30l the first thing I did was remove Fanbelt, (touching wood) never needed to remove the AC or repair the Alternator.

16+ Years of Surfs .. n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !! Now 2 Surfs again ..
                Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                X