Galooph's build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galooph's build thread

Thought it was about time I pulled my finger out and started a build thread on here

Don't expect progress to be rapid – I help look after my Dad who's got a super rare form of dementia, so I have to spy my chance to get down to the workshop. Anyway, time for some pictures!

I splashed out on a second hand lift last month, and it's ace! I've already got two compressed discs in my back, so it was a case of getting some proper lifting equipment or finding a less strenuous hobby. Couldn't give up my Surfs!

The engine will be going into that LN130.

As an added bonus of stripping down the Lexus, the workshop has gained some comfy seats.

After a bit of huffing and puffing...

That's where I'm up to. Need to get an engine stand I think!

One thing that caught me out was the corrosion between the engine mounts and the crossmember. I'd got everything undone and disconnected, but when I tried to lift the engine up, it was pulling the Lexus with it. Took a crowbar to lever the engine mount bolts around in the slots in the crossmember to break the corrosion free, then it came away easily.

I wouldn't like to try lifting the engine and transmission out without a load leveller. If you've got an impact wrench, remove the crank handle from the leveller and just use the impact wrench to adjust it – much easier!

I need to get the Lexus out of the way now to free up space in the workshop. Reading up on the other engine swap threads, apart from the engine/ECU/AFM/engine loom, I need the 4th ECU plug, power steering pipework, and Vince mentioned the brake servo hose. Anything else I need to save for the conversion? I'll be saving the electric window switches too, as the Surf needs a few replacements.

Once the Lexus is out of the way, I think the next job will be taking the Surf body off the chassis. The 2-post lift will make that much less stressful! I need to do some welding on the chassis, so might as well make the access easier, plus I can get it all cleaned up and painted.

Dan
    https://galooph.com

Nice little shed you have there, and a good start to your project.
    Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
      Nice little shed you have there, and a good start to your project.
      Thanks! I could just squeeze a Surf into the garage at home, but there'd be no space to work on it. Started renting a workshop unit 18 months ago, and after wiring it up and plumbing, it's finally usable
      https://galooph.com

Comment

Working...
      X