1jzgte / surf engine swap gearbox choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1jzgte / surf engine swap gearbox choices

Well i finally got the box out of my v6 surf having taken the motor out some weeks ago.

The plan is to substitue the old v6 motor and auto box with the 1jzgte motor and auto box complete with loom and std ecu.

All was going very well, i was ready to source a custom prop, i had worked the wiring loom out and was ready to make the new mounts for the engine and box.

Then i looked at the old 4x4 box and bugger me, it fits the 1jz motor, all you have to do is swap the bell housings so now it looks as though i can have 4x4 choices choices choices.

Does anyone know how strong the std v6 hilux surf auto box is? I need to make a choice this weekend and pick one 4x4 surf box or 1jz 2wd soarer box.

Any ideas anyone? Im going to leave the motor std at 280 bhp.

Regards Andy

Both transmissions are basically the same and can handle the power, it's just one or two electrical differences but as you've got both looms there's no worries.
    The bolt pattern for the transfer case is the same for both 'boxes too.

The weakest part of the whole drivetrain on Surfs is the front diff.

Comment

Is that the twin turbo jobbie?

Comment

1jzgte gearbox

Well that settles it then, i will fit the surf gearbox utalizing the mount and prop because its easier and see how it goes. I dont use 4x4 alot so i think it will go well.

I will save the soarer box for later if i up the power with a single turbo conversion. I like the idea of the soarer box because its much smoother, has the ignition kill shift device that spits flames and never looses boost and can be modified using the dash cracker mod which speeds up the shift time. The only trouble would be gearbox mount and prop.

Going to the workshop today and hope to have the surf box and engine together ready to go in the truck

Comment

Has there been any progress on this?
          Reason I ask is I have an old soarer with 1jz auto sitying about and am looking for a surf to buy. If this was a fairly straight forward swap I'd be doing it asap

Comment

Yes the boxes are very similar, alternatively you can put your transfer box onto the Soarer Auto Box with minimal work.

I used the original Surf Box with my VVti 1UZ.

Have you trial fitted the engine? Surely a Straight 6 is going to be very tight lengthwise.
            More Lift.
            More Tyres.
            More Engine.

Comment

Working...
            X