Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting roofrails to Gen2

Lads,

I'm in the process of fitting an airline rail to my truck. I have the whole back side stripped and the headlining is out.
    After taking a good look at the possible fitting places I have doubts and would like to ask you techies for advice since there are a few who have fit roofrails to the gen2.

https://ibb.co/mU7NCF
    https://ibb.co/eV8UsF

I was thinking of drilling a hole (5mm) in the middle of the beam (red arrow)
    Do some of you use the body (yellow arrow) to fit the rails
    Or are you only using a steel plate to fastenb some screws?

Please tell me what worded and what not.

I'm trying to get this done..

I'm fitting my RTT (55 kg)

Any info welcome

Cheers!
    Last edited by ST185pinjo; 9 August 2017, 17:26.

Not fitted roof rails myself but I don't see any real problems fitting the type you have, bear in mind that along the edges of the roof there is triple skin, and i would use bolts not screws, I had similar problems fitting a light bar,
    I'd use a small drill and go through all the skins as a pilot hole, then drill your 5mm holes on the roof top just through the roof skin, then either holesaw from inside to give room for a large washer, or drill the inner skins at 5mm and try and fit spacers between the skins, this would give more strength and not pull the skins together when you tighten up the bolts,

I used male "big heads" but my light bar doesn't weigh much, a lot depends on what you intend to put on the rails,
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Roof top tent.

I have the headliner out and there is no 3x skin. Just roof or the beams like in the photo in the initial post. And I'm using bolts indeed. Got the words mixed up..

Comment

Working...
      X