yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Desirability or Not of 2005 Surf ? Import rules?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desirability or Not of 2005 Surf ? Import rules?

Hello all.

You may recall I am completely non mechanical but fell in love with the SURF when working in Tanzania. Am on my third since returning to UK in 2005 ~all imported directly from Japan to the Port of Tyne.

My current one is 1996 or 07 first reg in Japan ( 'P' Reg here when imported in 2012 ). No problems with it that I am aware of. Recently had timing belt done ( cost a lot, but it's done now and I didn't want to risk a breakdown ). Has now reached just over 200,000 kms on odometer.
    MOT man said in excellent condition - he does not see any obvious probs down the line.

However I am wondering whether it might not be an idea to get a much later model, just on grounds of general reliability ~that a 12 or 10 year old is inherently more likely to be reliable / avoid breakdowns on the march and so on... ( On the other hand I read a LOT about cars burdened with computer gadgetry which fails expensively like modern washing machines ).

Anyway, I would appreciate any comments from people with knowledge of these things.

https://www.beforward.jp/toyota/hilu...257/id/787540/

The link is to just one of the sort of car I am currently considering ~though as I say am in no rush to dispose of the current car.

On a connected note : does anyone have knowledge they could share re the current import regulations applicable to cars from Japan ?
    Is it still the case that provided they are 10 years old the DVLA will allow them to be re registered here on arrival and with no probs bar fog lamp and speedo change to MPH ?
    Or is there anything else one has to watch out for, regulation wise ?

Is there any reason why cars younger than 10 yrs cannot be registered ?

Thanks a bunch for any info.............

Hi, those 4th Gen surf's are nice , people have started to import them here without any issues, they seem as solid as the previous ones. They come with the 2.7 petrol or the 3.4 petrol, I have not seen any diesel ones, on be forward or in the flesh. I wonder if Roughtrax and similar companies will start stocking parts for them, that would be handy.
    Cheers

Comment

Useful , thanks.

Do you know if they have as high a driving position as the 3rd Gen ? That is something I really appreciate, and just from the pics the 2005 models look a bit lower in the saddle. ?

Do you know if they have any computer parts ( a big minus for me if they do ) ?

Comment

Don't know why the timing belt cost you alot. Depends what you consider a lot. I done mine on my drive in about 45 mins. Simple job on a 3.0 litre diesel. 2.4 diesel alot more work.
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

They will have an ECU, just like the older surfs, that controls fuelling etc...
          I have never sat in one so can't comment on the driving position. Your best bet is to get onto the T4R forum, the US one, and ask a few questions.
          Over there the 4th gen shape is very popular, i saw loads of them last time I visited. They have lift kits and other gadgets that you could order to raise the ride height.
          Cheers

Comment

Do you have a specific website address please ?

Comment

Try this .... http://www.toyota-4runner.org/
              Good Luck n Happy hunting !!

16+ Years of Surfs n 9 years on Spotless it ain't but Faultless to a "T" is my KZN 130 Yota !!
              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by tashtego View Post
                Hi, those 4th Gen surf's are nice , people have started to import them here without any issues, they seem as solid as the previous ones. They come with the 2.7 petrol or the 3.4 petrol, I have not seen any diesel ones, on be forward or in the flesh. I wonder if Roughtrax and similar companies will start stocking parts for them, that would be handy.
                Cheers
                You missed out the important one...

- Factory 4.7 V8!
                More Lift.
                More Tyres.
                More Engine.

Comment

Wow, that should be excellent, I wonder if it's only for the US market, I never find it on the Japanese export websites...

Comment

Working...
                  X