95? Kzn185 starter issues. HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95? Kzn185 starter issues. HELP!

Hello all, first time posting so go easy on me please.
    After failing its mot my beautiful 95 (ish) hilux surf (kzn185) sat for the winter in the garden.
    I went to start it for the first time and the battery was dead (forgot to disconnect so no great shock) tried to jump it and stupidly reversed the terminals. Didn't realise for a while and I have managed to fry something somewhere.
    New battery and still it wouldn't start so changed a fried 100 amp fuse, hurray it starts now. All the time. The problem is it now starts when I turn the key to the "on" position rather than the "start" position.
    The starter motor kicks in straight away and keeps on running until I turn the ignition back off.
    I took the starter off and cleaned the contacts, which look in pretty good nick, but no joy. I also tried a different ignition cylinder but no change.
    The question is what's next? I'm no good with electronics/electrical systems but I fear I will have to get good!
    Anyone who could help would be handsomely rewarded in heaven!

hi
    somehow you got direct power to
    the starter
    perhaps u got the wires wrong
    or yer selernoid is gone or stuck
    my spelling is crap
    the old git

Comment

You might have a short between wires.There is a wire goes from the ignition cylinder (ST2, possibly black) to the starter relay. If it gets power via other wires... There should be a black-yellow from IG1 or black-red from IG2. Check continuity.

Comment

Working...
      X