yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sylex - A Long Long Journey to V8 Awesomeness!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a decent manual...but the images are terrible. They're great when it gets to the 2UZ bit etc (which is of no use)...but I can't identify this piece that's missing off the second donor car.

Hopefully you can notice the missing bit. Some sort of vacuum thing for the throttle sensor? Different place to the coolant part (judging by the diagrams). But possibly that?

I presume that's the throttle position sensor next to it (on the throttle body)? Manual seems to suggest those with a second one are the optional Traction Control ones. Probably lucky not to have that...would be another thing to factor out

Comment

It's a throttle plate damper. Prevents the throttle plate from snapping shut in the event of the cable breaking at WOT for example, which could stall the engine.

It also dampens the TPS movement in the same way.

Comment

Cheers, Vince

So why do you imagine the other one wouldn't have one? Should I swoop it from the scruffy one and keep it for the other?

I'm thinking I might pull both and have one as a spares/feckup rescuer!

Comment

Actually...on a closer look...they have a totally different configuration. Nothing to swap it to (no vacuum pipe). Hmmm.

Comment

TAKE II

So I picked up another LS400! Same delivery costs, £250 for the car (133K) and the engine is super clean and runs great.

Had a small run around the corner in it. Wish it was T&T as I'd love a proper run.

Has a power steering noise and frothy fluid which suggests an air leak. It's not spewing out like the other one...so I'll get to it.

Other than that it's great.

It's a 92 and there are tiny differences in the engine (from the 93) and this one, although the cluster is nice and bright (93 is fecked and needs soldering), has an analogue mileage.

Comment

Just an update on the white one.

Ran it through for an hour. Unlike the other it idles with zero smoke.

I added some FI petrol treatment on the run through so when I revved it there was the expected smoke. Fully expected...but...

...being paranoid from the first blue one (which is fecked) I noted there was water in that also! The coolant was really low so I topped it to level, revved, it dropped, topped it, revved, it dropped, topped it, revved, it dropped a little but stabilized. It stayed around just under the min mark. Once I eventually stopped the engine, it expanded back up to the marks.

I'll go through it again, tomorrow. See if the fluid was simply filling air gaps and continue the fuel treatment.

1: But should I be worried about the water in the revved smoke? Any condensation would have been long gone by the time it appeared.

I also had a tray under the engine to see if there was any leaks. Other than one tiny drop of water (and I mean tiny)...nothing.

All the usual tests showed nothing, too; clean smelling oil, coolant seems clean (although I was adding new) and zero mayo on the oil cap.

2: Additionally...this is a 92 model and quite different on a few things to the other 93. It has a different ECU and plug config (will this be an issue Vince?), and also different parts to the throttle body. The cabin spec is different but not bothered about that.

The ECU looks like a crown affair. 3 grouped and 1 plug separate. The 93 has the 4 plugs grouped.

3: Finally...I presume I'm going to have to source either a petrol surf tachometer, or a whole petrol cluster?

Thanks for your time, peeps

Comment

Originally posted by Sylux View Post
                Just an update on the white one.

Ran it through for an hour. Unlike the other it idles with zero smoke.

I added some FI petrol treatment on the run through so when I revved it there was the expected smoke. Fully expected...but...

...being paranoid from the first blue one (which is fecked) I noted there was water in that also! The coolant was really low so I topped it to level, revved, it dropped, topped it, revved, it dropped, topped it, revved, it dropped a little but stabilized. It stayed around just under the min mark. Once I eventually stopped the engine, it expanded back up to the marks.

I'll go through it again, tomorrow. See if the fluid was simply filling air gaps and continue the fuel treatment.
                Sounds fine to me.

1: But should I be worried about the water in the revved smoke? Any condensation would have been long gone by the time it appeared.
                A few spits of water is normal, especially if the car hasn't been driven.
                Idling up to temp isn't the same as being driven up to temp.

I also had a tray under the engine to see if there was any leaks. Other than one tiny drop of water (and I mean tiny)...nothing.

All the usual tests showed nothing, too; clean smelling oil, coolant seems clean (although I was adding new) and zero mayo on the oil cap.
                Marvelous!
                2: Additionally...this is a 92 model and quite different on a few things to the other 93. It has a different ECU and plug config (will this be an issue Vince?), and also different parts to the throttle body. The cabin spec is different but not bothered about that.

The ECU looks like a crown affair. 3 grouped and 1 plug separate. The 93 has the 4 plugs grouped.
                Doesn't matter what the wire colours are or what the plug configuration is, it's the ECU pin-outs that are important.
                1990 - 1994 are the strongest of the 1UZ-FE engines. You can pretty much do what you like to them re: F.I. without the need to open them up.

3: Finally...I presume I'm going to have to source either a petrol surf tachometer, or a whole petrol cluster?
                Depends how anal you are regarding the tacho. A V6 Surf/4Runner tacho would be more accurate than the diesel one.

Thanks for your time, peeps

As you were.

Comment

Top man, thanks

Oh, and I'm anal as feck! I'll keep my eyes peeled for a petrol/V6 one. I'd rather have up to 8000 (or whatever they go to) than 6000 on the dial. Can just the tach be changed or is it a whole unit (never had the surf's out)?

Also...anyone know the average price given for these by the scrapman? Both will likely be without engine and at least the bellhousings. So basically shells.

Since the start of this month it's now illegal for cash to be paid! Has to be cheque or something. I can see a lot of bounced cheques :/

Comment

Originally posted by Sylux View Post
                    Top man, thanks

Oh, and I'm anal as feck! I'll keep my eyes peeled for a petrol/V6 one. I'd rather have up to 8000 (or whatever they go to) than 6000 on the dial. Can just the tach be changed or is it a whole unit (never had the surf's out)?

Also...anyone know the average price given for these by the scrapman? Both will likely be without engine and at least the bellhousings. So basically shells.

Since the start of this month it's now illegal for cash to be paid! Has to be cheque or something. I can see a lot of bounced cheques :/

Lexus ECUs have a set rev limit programmed into them, so can't be over-revved. Redline is 6500 IIRC.
                    Scrap price for a shell without engine/gearbox varies.
                    I've had cheques from scrappies before and they've been OK.

Comment

Ah, ok, thanks I'm sure I've just revved mine beyond 6500. I'll take closer attention tomorrow

Need to source an engine hoist. Probably going to get the one you got as lesser ones are the same price and second-hand ones are very little difference in price. Although I'm sure that linked one has gone up £15.

Comment

http://www.hss.com/g/67715/Folding-Engine-Crane.html

Any good?
                        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Cheers, mate

But I've discounted hire as it's not cost effective on these things.

If I buy new I'll get to use it, at my leisure, and then sell it on, when done.

The cost of hire would be more than new as I have two to remove, and one to put in.

£130 new seems pretty decent. Gumtree has a load but not far off that.

Comment

Every little helps
                            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Ha! I was hoping to get the Surf in the garage for when I'm refurbing the engine bay a chassis.

Just measured up...garage is 16' x 9'. Surf is 15' x 7' So it'll just fit in...but there'll be no room for me, the removed engine or anything else!

I was planning on removing the engines with the cars just poking their noses in the garage...so that's no bother. Would work really well. But what a shame I can't have her in there for her make-over.

Looks like I'll have to poke her nose in while refurbing, then poke her backside in there, too. Oh, err!

Who the #### thought this was a good sized garage to build!

Comment

It's just not possible to find the average home garage in a sensible size, they're all built for the modern day jelly mould eurobox. Long gone are the days of having a garage with enough space for your car, workbench and any parts that are busy being worked on.

Comment

Working...
                                X