No announcement yet.

Karma Supra's HiLex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To my eyes that looks like a nice tidy instal, congrats on a good job.

Comment

Wow, you clever man!

I've got serious 'squeaky clean' envy of you and BW etc

Comment

That sounds awesome. Too loud for what I want though. Foxes would panic at the beat of that v8.
        Paul

Surfless, donations welcome.

Comment

Thanks guys!!

I have a load more to do this weekend, but I've done a nearly 200 miles in it so far... Nothings fallen off yet...

My biggest gripe right now is the sagging suspension and front wheels rubbing...

I wish Toytec would ###### hurry up and get more stock in!
          More Lift.
          More Tyres.
          More Engine.

Comment

Well the Walbro pump failed... (It was intermittent on fitting, but had been behaving recently)

OEM Lexus one fitted, runs fine.

In retrospect I'd probably have used the OEM Lexus fuel pump and in tank fuel regulator, and not run a return line.
            More Lift.
            More Tyres.
            More Engine.

Comment

Well a few months on down the line...

Everything is running perfectly engine wise!! It still goes well, sounds great, and makes me smile lots... so much in fact a week ago when someone offered my some money for the M3, I realised that it still had my private plate on it... meaning it hadn't turned a wheel since I MOT'd the HiLex!

It's now gone!

I've *still* not done the bonnet mod for the cold air feed... I noticed in diagnostics mode that the TC solenoid isn't locking, that may have been broken pre swap.. it still goes well... Mapping the gearbox was fun... It changes into 2nd at 45 on max throttle before it hits the redline!! (Vid it was upshifting at 50... = rev limiter)

Latest change was fitting Tundra V8 disks and callipers...
              Unfortunately one of the bleed nipples was smashed off when they arrived from the states.. I got it repaired, rebuilt, fitted, tried to bleed and got a mist of brake fluid A replacement is on its way...

I rebuilt the calipers with Toyota OEM parts, replaced the pins, anti squeal shims etc, parts below:

Pads: 04465-35290
              Squeal shim kit: 04945-35080
              Caliper Rebuild Kit Front: 04479-60080
              Pin clip x 4 47749-35040
              Front Disk x 2 43512-0C011

So, Pics!!

Tundra Disks Vs OEM. Mine were warped to buggery... a common problem apparently...

Lots of meat for stoppage! I *really* need these!

Did I mention? I polybushed the lower arms, fitted Adjustable camber and caster upper arms, and Toyec "Boss" coil overs. Wow, what a difference!!!

Yes, the Tundra callipers *just* fit under my 16" split rims...

Next up, 5x new BFG's and those being re-furbed. Eeeeep!

For those that can see it....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152208332165701

How not to launch a HiLex... that wasn't revving, that was wheel spin!!
              Last edited by Karma Supra; 12 April 2017, 10:42.
              More Lift.
              More Tyres.
              More Engine.

Comment

Nice one Karma! I really did think that tractor was lining up for a run though...

Comment

###### awesome job fella, good pics too..............only bad thing........you've given me idea's for the new surf outside....
                  Life is not a dress rehearsal
                  1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed
                  (Auto's are for the indecisive!!)

Comment

Clearing out the phone I found a video I took earlier this month...

Low revs driving up a steepish hill with the window open...

There are big banks either side so the sound reverberates nicely!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swmWt5tSoZQ
                    More Lift.
                    More Tyres.
                    More Engine.

Comment

nice, well done!
                      the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

What an absolutely cracking build. I love the suspension and brake modification.
                        I hope you have many happy miles in it.
                        Brian

Comment

I've seen and heard it.
                          It's glorious!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys The great feedback really makes it worth it!

I realised there isn't an "up to date" picture of the engine bay...

It currently looks like this: (apologies for repetition, these two pics are posted elsewhere on the forum!)

Its pretty much looked liked that since it was finished..

I also finished the cold air duct, it feeds in from the Intercooler Bonnet, and keeps the engine fed with cool air...
                            It seems to work as after a drive the air filter is cold to the touch.

I have a few jobs I want to sort out under the bonnet:

-Fit a rigid pipe over the positive battery bridge to tidy it up
                            -Put some rubber trim around the airbox that doesn't look rubbish (should help with drawing cool air in when stationary too, well, it might.)
                            -Put a neater breather hose of the passenger side cam cover
                            -Fit a bit of silicone hose over the exposed aluminium joiner before the airbox
                            -Do something with the horrible coolant hoses.. I used silicone hoses and they don't seal very well, meaning I had to put "gunk" to assist, once pressured up it acts as a lubricant and they re settle, exposing the blue gunk. Its a shame custom silicone hoses cost the earth!

I also plan to fit some condenser fans as the aircon suffers a bit when stationary after losing the factory viscous fan and shroud.

The surf's "Aircon idle up" is also not compatible with the VVTi ECU, so I have a mechanical AC idle up valve from a Celica GT4 to fit.

I've also recently become obsessed with the fact that I need extra engine, and definitely need additional transmission oil cooling, so that's also on my list too.
                            More Lift.
                            More Tyres.
                            More Engine.

Comment

Is there room for a turbo?
                              Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Originally posted by j i m s t e r View Post
                                is there room for a turbo?

Comment

Working...
                                X