Just bought a 2.7l manual petrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a 2.7l manual petrol

After years of lurking on the site as a very occasional visitor (been a Hilux pickup owner since 2005), I have finally bought a Surf.

Last Sunday night I took a train up to Wrexham and paid £1500 for a manual 2.7l petrol surf. Judging by how long I've had to wait to see one, these are very rare indeed, and so I went up after dark and after a ten minute drive took it.

I want to build it into an expedition truck for extreme cold weather (hence choosing the petrol).

Now it's not a perfect example, but the bodywork is all good except for a ding on the rear left corner, and some rust and dents on the rear bumper. The underside has some rust in places, nothing major as far as I can see. The interior is pretty clean and all the electrical things seem to work, though the rear tailgate handle seems stuck (it worked when I bought it). The engine sounds pretty good to me (anything would after 4 cyl. diesels), though it needs some attention and I'll be doing a rebuild to make sure there's plenty of life in it. The gearbox feels fantastic, like new.

The radiator cap was knackered when I bought it, and it has clearly been losing water for some time. As I was driving down the M40 the temperature started heading north and the engine cut out. The crappy battery which came with it was soon flat, and so it had to be towed So I am not sure whether the head gasket is OK, though after a new radiator cap it seems to be fine.

Ashley (sp.?), the guy who picked me up on a flatbed from the side of the M40 was also a Surf owner and forum member!

Anyway, my main questions right now are:

- The engine hesitates between about 1500 and 2000 rpm, it was really jolting about when I pulled out of roundabouts in third at 1500 rpm or so. I am totally new to petrol engines. Anyone know what this is likely to be? Cat? Oxygen sensors? Or some of the sensors in the EFI system? MAF?? Clogged fuel filter? Fuel pump? Would be interested to hear of any similar experiences.

- The 4WD system. Haven't got to use it yet. Mine has a button on the transfer lever to engage 4WD. No diff lock switches. Is the vacuum operated front diff actuator a reliable system? Does the transfer have a centre diff? If not, I won't use it on asphalt (like my Hilux pickup). If it does, with no locking option, this is not going to be much good off road!

- Anyone know where I can get an exhaust system? The one on presently is a hideous bodge!

- How easy is it to remove a sequential-injection LPG system? How invasive will the installation have been to the wiring loom? I see there are some spliced hoses which will have to be replaced. It also looks like someone has drilled holes into the inlet manifold to get the gas in Anything else that I'll need to replace?

First plans are to do an engine rebuild. I'm hoping the bottom end is fine (there certainly are no knocking sounds), the bores not scored and the head not cracked, then everything else can pretty much be rebuilt. Next would be to go over the drivetrain and steering and make sure everything is free and in top condition. I need this to be a reliable truck.

I was planning on spending about £5k on the truck, so there is plenty left in the budget to make this into a really nice truck!

Looking forward to being active on here

Cheers

Daniel
    http://eurasiaoverland.com/

Welcome and good luck with your project!

Also check the US based T4Runner forum, its excellent for everything '3Gen'.

Cheers

Comment

....so you enjoy reading Thesiger? Then a drive down to Africa is a must for you!

Comment

Hey Tashtego

Before I got hooked on Eurasia, Africa was my original destination and it's still very much on the cards. Just not sure what vehicle to take!

Looking forward to posting a good 'light' restoration thread on here

Cheers

Daniel
        http://eurasiaoverland.com/

Comment

Working...
        X