Iberian trip pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iberian trip pics

Travelled to Iberia recently for a surf trip and mountain expedition with a good mate of mine. I naturally took my Hilux and portable hotel, Sasquatch, which has had a few mild modifications so far, though nothing too hectic:

- 2" body lift
    - 31" BFG All Terrains (eventually to make way for 32" BFG Mud Terrains)
    - Nudge bar with twin Hellas (soon to go for a custom winch bumper)
    - Independent ATF cooler (massive help on mountain climbs, thanks Tony)
    - EGR removal
    - Twin air horns (for classic removal of wildlife from the road)
    - OEM winter pack
    - Interior kitted with ceiling and rear cargo nets for storage of boards, stove and first aid kit, etc; 6'x4' futon mattress; 300W inverter; mozzie netting; Maglite holders, plus OEM altimeter/tilt/inclinometer gauges, etc.)

Anyway so things started off relatively civilised, this campsite is cut in tiers out of the cliff face, giving a decent base for coastal trips in search for surf.

My mate is a chef so was loving getting local food from the markets and cooking up a storm on the tailgate each night.

A number of beaches we found were only accessible with a 4x4, this particular beach was a mile down a very rough track with loose, rutted gravel and 100ft drop-offs on the final approach, definitely worth it in the end though. You can just about make out the track winding down on the left.

At the bottom.

The views around there are mental.

Another track produced snow-capped mountains one way and a decent little rivermouth surf break the other.

We later found a beautiful little spot which was accessed down a very long - at stages ruined - winding track which switchbacked its way down a cliff through a eucalyptus forest and through some hefty mud sections with stream run-offs carving gullies and the like across it. Was proper Camel Trophy stuff at one stage!

At the bottom it came to a dead end but had levelled out enough to just be able to turn around, hide it in some trees and hit the waves.

Loading up post surf.

View at the end of the track, well worth the long climb back out, bordering on needing low range on the 4WD box at times!

We subsequently climbed into the mountains to trek 6km through a gorge which at points is 1,000m deep.

After rising through a thunder and lightning storm (at times exploding below us) we camped in the truck at the summit of a nearby mountain - 5,200ft up and well below freezing. Wolves, bears and griffin vultures are still very much a part of the food chain around here.

We melted down some snow the following morning for coffee and took in some pretty nuts views on the way back down. (But only after digging Sasquatch out of a deceptively deep snowbank we'd tackled - and utterly failed to conquer - that morning).

Within a few short hours we were back on the beach and enjoying 30 degrees and some waves, too easy.

All in all, it was a hell of a trip

Owen

Fantastic pictures,fantastic write up.

Well done

Comment

Cool trip! Where in Iberia was this?

Comment

Thanks Woodwarm, and ST185pinjo - in the north

Owen

Comment

Very nice pictures, you have found some great spots there!
          What do you mean by Iberia (isn't it latin for Spain?)...some of the pics remind me of the coastal roads between the Pirenees and Santander....Am I close?
          Cheers

Comment

Tashtego yeah not a million miles away, it was more a nod to the Iberian Peninsula really, we travelled around a fair bit but predominantly Spain, yep.

Cheers
            Owen

Comment

Great,enjoy your travelling.

Comment

Bay of biscay side or Balearic sea side?

Comment

Biscay

Owen

Comment

Cool! I'm looking to go to the most southern point of Portugal via the north of Spain or Croatia this summer in the 4runner.
                    These pics want me to go to Portugal...

Comment

Sounds like an epic trip, it's beautiful down there!

Owen

Comment

Working...
                      X