Auto transmission not changing up into top gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto transmission not changing up into top gear

My auto transmission gears are holding much longer before changing from 1st-2nd, then 2nd-3rd, then from 3rd it wont change into 4th gear(Top) at all. The trans has worked perfectly for nearly ten years, and with no signs of problems until now. I checked the trans oil level with engine on, needed 1 ltr top up, drove for 1 mile then gears changed down as normal. 2 days later, same thing again. Checked oil again, all ok. Not sure why gears sticking. Not sure what makes an auto gearbox change gears. Has anyone had this problem? Help!!!
    Last edited by RAB; 3 March 2013, 13:28.

Possibly the ECU is going bad. It controls both engine and transmission on the 3.0

Have you looked for any error codes logged in the ECU?

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsit...odiagnosis.pdf

Comment

Not checked ECU as yet. Will do shortly.
      Theres a lot of electrical plugs attached to the transmission under the Surf. Are these sensors, or maybe solenoids which change the gears???
      Would any adjustments to the shifter lever, or other levers underneath make a difference?

Cheers mate!! Will C how I get on.

Comment

RAB update......

Had the proffessionals check the transmission through diagnostics and they said it wasn't a mechanical problem, but have confirmed that it is an electrical/ECU problem.
        I have searched for an ECU on line and a second hand one is about £250, but I have heard that it is also possible to have mine refurbished. Not sure of cost, yet.

Will update shortly!!

Comment

http://the-ecu-doctor.co.uk/

Comment

I think there must be a self destruct feature on ECU's. That's two gone!

Comment

Bringing an old post back to life but...

I am having exactly the same problems as RAB.

I had changed the transmission fluid and transfer box fluid first, but will now use the information provided by BUSHWACKER (manual) to find out the error codes and see what the problem actually is.

My local mechanic said it needs a new gearbox, but I don't think so... sounds like a faulty solenoid or speed sensor... possibly even the ECU.

I will report back when I find out what the problem is.

ps: RAB did you determine what was wrong with yours?

Comment

Once you get the code from the diagnostic it should point you in the right direction. Mine was just a solenoid, and not too much of a pain to replace.

Owen

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                  ECU doctor is fantastic.

£35 for diagnostic, and postage back if it needs nothing. £150 total for mine needing some work. There and back in 3 days!
                  Happy Surfing!

Comment

ECU doctor does sound really good and fast.

I tried to find the fault codes on mine, but the diagram of the fuse box and which ones to bridge was not the same as my fuse box.

pyemaster - are the solenoids on the outside of the box and easy to replace?

Would it be worth me changing them all failing being about to do the diagnostic?

Comment

ne_surf - so for £35 they can tell me the fault codes and in doing so which solenoids (or speed sensor) is/are faulty?

Comment

Ok I've kind of answered one of my questions...

...so the solenoids are located behind the value body when you remove the oil tray and filter under the gearbox.

Great, so I know where they are, but can anyone tell me:

> which one is for the over drive?
                        > where I can buy these separately (preferably not main dealer)?

Comment

If you put the following into the search button at the top of the page...

'3rd Gen Auto #1 Solenoid replacement'

...you will see my thread, I replaced solenoid n 1 after checking the OD codes. It solved the problem. Part number is in the thread too, last post.I got it from the toyota dealer but you can get a non original solenoid shipped from the US, more info on this on the american T4R forum.
                          If you don't get any OD codes, then it could be the ECU. You post it to the ecu doctor or similar, they check it, replace some components if needed and send it back to you.
                          Hope this helps, cheers.
                          Last edited by tashtego; 17 August 2017, 22:50.

Comment

tashtego - thank you for that.

I need to figure out the error codes and also rule out the ECU... I recon sending my ECU to the doctor will kill both those birds.

Then if it is any such solenoid I will know and can buy the appropriate one from Toyota or wherever.

Might be one of the speed sensors on the box also I guess...

Comment

Working...
                            X