Cummings or not cummings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cummings or not cummings

Hi excuse my ignorance but I see a lot of Cummings diesel conversions on the interweb is it possible to do on a surf?

Anything can be done given the skills needed, bloody heavy lump though!
    Old enough to know better but then again.....

Comment

Originally posted by The Boo Crew View Post
      Anything can be done given the skills needed, bloody heavy lump though!
      I've only seen a few Landmarks with Cummings just wondered if it had been done, cheers😃

Comment

Originally posted by handyandygsxr View Post
        I've only seen a few Landmarks with Cummings just wondered if it had been done, cheers😃
        i haven't even heard a wisper of it being done so maybe not, there the big blocks in dodges and chevs no?
        Yes it's a V8, don't you know I'm loco?

Comment

Hi excuse my ignorance but I see a lot of Cummings diesel conversions on the interweb is it possible to do on a surf?
          You mean one of THESE

Not seen it done personally, but I'm sure anythings possible if you have the time and skills to make it fit

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKzn130 View Post
            i haven't even heard a wisper of it being done so maybe not, there the big blocks in dodges and chevs no?
            Not sure what they are normally in apart from 🚌 I do know the yanks like to put them in their trucks though.

Comment

the model they are fitting is Cummings 6bt

Comment

CUMMINS.

No "g".

That's a whole different thing...
                Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Aren't they all inline sixes. If so too long, unless you want part of it the front with you.

Nev.

Comment

Cummins diesels!

They are straight six's, 5.9 litre if I remember correctly. 250bhp and enough grunt to tear the prop/diffs out of a Surf. I had these engines in a couple of my 18 tonne tankers, nice and powerful at that weight but vibrated enough on tickover to regularly destroy the bulbs in the dashboard! It would be difficult to get one (and a suitable gearbox) into a Surf and the extra weight would be a problem!
                    Last edited by Tankerman; 15 March 2017, 12:19.

Comment

I recon a 4bt would go in 3.9TD and very tunable the gearbox should handle the power or should I say torque.
                      Old enough to know better but then again.....

Comment

I've been trying to find out more about electric conversions. Might be too early at this stage.

There's 3 and 4-cylinder cummins diesels. Extremely strong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnCqcsYiRLo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXCS3u4W8wY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ocu8hUOwkQ
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Hi Gents,

Probably a bit late to this conversation, but I used to be an Engineer for Cummins, and have a friend who fitted the ISB6.7 into a Defender 110, and is putting a 4BT into a 90 now.

In terms of engines available, the following might help

B series (Mechanical)
                          3.9L and 5.9L. typically used in a number of Leyland DAF trucks, in a variety of calibration (power outputs), most will have very high mileage now. Bosch VE pump same as the Land Rover 300TDI engine, but with different fuelling and output plumbing, the MOD used these engines until very recently, as they did not want to change the engine spec across their fleet.

ISB series (electronic)
                          anything from Euro3 onward's will usually be ISB. Common rail, programmable output.
                          4.5L and 6.7L. Brilliant engines, and the ECM is mounted on the engine usually. Economical too. the 6.7 a friend had is 300bhp and returned similar fuel economy to the 300TDI.
                          4 cylinder is around 350kg, 6 cylinder 500.

C and L series
                          Available from 8.3 to 8.9 and a few in between for marine applications. 6 cylinder, and around 750 kgs.

There is a 3.3 mechanical, but its a carry over Komatsu engine.

F Series.
                          These will be harder to get hold of. 2.8, and 3.8L, four cylinder. Made in China for the Asian, and Russian markets, but have since been used in Nissan and Ford Pick up trucks in US. Smaller modular engines intended for light duty truck. 2.8 has reported issues on line with cylinder wall tear, and con rod failures, though I did not see them myself. I suspect a hard to get hold of engine in the UK.

In the US there is also a 5L V8, which has a common design heritage with the 2.8F. I think it was aimed at the pick up truck market. lighter duty.

Challenges you are likely to face are as follows.

Height, the B series is a tall engine, and heavy for its size. They are getting harder to find as the Landy guys are buying them up.

You will need a truck gearbox, and then adapt that to the Hilux transfer box (i'm giving my lack of Hilux knowledge away now). otherwise, your going to need something like a Landy LT77 transfer box to put on the back of an Eaton.

hope this helps.
                          Last edited by Paul_sterling; 14 June 2018, 11:47.

Comment

Working...
                          X