MPG V tyre choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPG V tyre choice

First of all hello, this is a great site and I have enjoyed gaining all the info so far.
    Just to add a different view on the old MPG debate, I have 31 x 10.5 r15 mud terrain Bridgestone's on my 93 30lttd auto. I live in a fairly flat part of Norfolk and drive like a granny with a hot cup of tea on my lap. I have a best of 23.6 mpg and a worst of 22.1 mpg.

I have tried keeping revs below 2500 and I did get the best figure doing this, but the tractors were out accelerating me.

So, my question is this , can I improve my MPG with a change of tread to something with a little less grunt.

My previous car was a '94 Nissan Patrol SWB 4.2 diesel manual. That had 31x 11.5 r15 Bridgestone AT's, weighed 250kg more than the surf and has the aerodynamics of parachute. I had a best of 29.9 and the poorest was 25.2, pulling a full 3.5 tons, that's 5 and three quarter tons all in.

So all you high 20's and 30 plus folks, what tyres are you running?

Cheers
    Steve.

hi steve mate..i dunno what my mpg are, not a clue..but just saying hi to a fellow norfolk m/t clad 3 ltr surfer..

Comment

Definately. The 'chunkyness' of the mud tyres will increase fuel consumption. Change to a more road bias tyre for more economy.

Comment

tested revs out today in 5th gear at 2000 revs mine is doing 65 mph at 1000 it drives at 30 so you must be doing something wrong

Comment

Originally posted by sketty
          tested revs out today in 5th gear at 2000 revs mine is doing 65 mph at 1000 it drives at 30 so you must be doing something wrong
          Hi Sketty, is yours a manual? My auto box keeps me at 2000 rpm for 60mph in top with overdrive on.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey
            hi steve mate..i dunno what my mpg are, not a clue..but just saying hi to a fellow norfolk m/t clad 3 ltr surfer..
            Hi, well we have to do are bit to give the Norwich anti4x4 lot something to moan about .

Comment

yeah, they'll have their work cut out in these parts though, its gotta be the 4x4 capital of the uk? i believe they have been plastering envoironmental fact sheets on the windscreens? oh well, better than red paint i guess.i'll be in norwich next thursday, so i'll keep it nice and muddy, maybe they'll believe i'm not on the school run...

well, was in swaffham earlier today...one silver 3 ltr surf, 1 wine red one..

pass a blue one daily on the way to hilgay on the A10

one blue one for sale in ten mile bank.

one wine red one parked at tesco in dereham.

passed a black one on the 47 towards dereham yesterday and later overtook one towing a caravan heading into norwich..

thats seven, in two days...even the young fella at halfords knew what one was..even the kids have stopped saying "corrrr, look at that"..

Comment

Hi,
                The green one with the caravan may have been me trying out the newish caravan. We have a few Surfs around Kings Lynn.
                Graham

Comment

ahh ha, maybe it was indeed..if so, i did toot the horn and wave, but in my experience, most surfers are either watching the temp guauge, or the fuel guage..if it wasn't you, then thats another baby in the cradle.at this rate we'll have to form a norfolk surf club...anyway, i'm in swaffham..wine red 3ltr with a bullbar like a victorian iron bedstead..and lurvly looking bf mud terrains..dunno when the next mid-norfolk off-road gig is, but if you fellas ever fancy hooking up for some boy talk, then that would be a good place..purely in a social capacity of course..

just a thought..does this website have any window stickers for advertising purposes? i'd be proud to wear one on my rear screen, and it might pull in some peeps that haven't yet discovered this wonderful place

Comment

yes it is a manual 3.0l td

Comment

Have you considered the speedo... I checked the surf speedo with the gps and it was bang on accurate - the missus' yaris over-reads by 10-15% - so her fuel economy figures are all out too by the same amount.... It could well have been the case that your old truck was over-reading and giving you false figures....

Tyre tread will have an effect and so will tyre pressure....

Comment

Sorry Mickey
                        I did not mean to be rude just didn't see you-watching the other prats on the road.

Comment

no problem mate, no offence taken...to tell you the truth, the wave was but a fleeting one as i was texting at the time..the overtaking manouvre was a little hasty too, and you may have been blinded by the frantic headlight flashing of the oncoming traffic..i didn't see you until the last minute, and my hoot might have been lost in the choreographed blasts from the other motorists..i was so surprised to see you i nearly spilt my beer...i didn't notice the pratts you spoke of though?

Comment

Yeah i've noticed my speedo is out to all the GPS's i've tested it with. My speed is about 5-10mph slower than what the dials is telling me...

Could it be something to do with changing the dials out for MPH/kph instead of KPH/mph?

My best mpg as best as i could work out was about 25 on a run to wales last weekend. 620 miles on 110 litres of go juice.

Also like to add i'm another Norfolk Surfer Dark Met. Blue 3.0TD SSR-X with the palm decals. Regularly do the Gt. Yarmouth - Peterborough run on the 47 shall toot if i see any of you about

Comment

Originally posted by mickey View Post
                              no problem mate, no offence taken...to tell you the truth, the wave was but a fleeting one as i was texting at the time..the overtaking manouvre was a little hasty too, and you may have been blinded by the frantic headlight flashing of the oncoming traffic..i didn't see you until the last minute, and my hoot might have been lost in the choreographed blasts from the other motorists..i was so surprised to see you i nearly spilt my beer...i didn't notice the pratts you spoke of though?
                              www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X