Another towing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another towing question

First post after lurking for a while. I have a 92 2.4 auto that I bought with the sole intention of using it to tow my drift car, now it has a gearbox fault which I hope is just the sensor but it feels incredibly under powered, is this linked? I'm worried it won't have the guts to pull my drift car on a trailer up hill.

Thanks

it would help if you
    tell us whats up with it
    the old git

Comment

I have, gearbox fault which I'm hoping is the speed sensor as the Speedo doesn't work either. Doesn't the auto box use the speed signal to work out the appropriate gear?

Comment

if yer speedo not working thats not the box
        its prob speedo nafted [common with yhe 2.4]
        plenty on flea bay
        now if yer box is not changing i would fist go to
        [lack of trans fluid] another common fault
        check before you spend quids
        the old git

Comment

So the sensor is just for the Speedo then. That helps, I assumed that they were linked as the od light is flashing. I thought a box issue would explain how slow it is if the sensor was related.

I could really do with a comparison to another surf, is anyone in the notts/derby area with a 2.4??

Comment

Hi and wrlcome.

Search on here how to pull the OD codes from the diagnostic port. I bet it's a faulty gearbox solenoid.

I must say for towing the 2.4 surf would noy be my first choice, or even second or third.

What about a Peugeot diesel? An old Camry? Or any other vehicle really...

Cheers

Comment

Are they that bad? It came up cheap from a friend

Comment

no they not that bad for towing a bit slow on the hills
                my girl towed all over the eu with hers she had a 14 ft caravan
                and when i say all the EU i mean all the EU the longest
                5000 miles you have to watch for overheating
                the heads dont like it
                as for the speedo hers went and we just replaced the dash unit
                as i say check yer fluid
                the old git

Comment

Hi Aiden, and welcome, yeah the 2.4 aint the fastest of rides, I have to say tho that I've had mine for over 11 years and it a f##k sight faster now than when I bought it, it's mainly due to poor maintenance, the injectors get fouled, I have done several things over the years to improve that and it's still running on the original injectors, as a first step I'd put put 4 lts of auto trans fluid in a full tank od derv, it's a good cleaner and I use it regularly (ltr and a half every time I fill up,) that should help, then stuff like taking the fuel compensator on the pump on about 4-5 clicks, washer out the turbo gate, fit a 2" exhaust (drastic I know but it really helps it to breath much better) but of course as said first check the ATF level, gear box oils etc, most important to give the cooling system a dam good flushing (a couple of times) have a search for the other stuff I mentioned, good luck,
                  Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Ian ya forgot an intercooler n Scoop

Howdy

16+ Years of Surfs .. n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !! So now 2 Surfs again
                    Buncefield Burner

Comment

How could I forget those Jess?, lots of things you can do to get the old 2.4 of it's hind legs, best one tho is dump the fecker and buy a 3lt
                      Last edited by POPEYE; 9 December 2016, 17:59.

Comment

Originally posted by G1bbo View Post
                        Are they that bad? It came up cheap from a friend
                        Well...that's why they are cheap.

Anyway, not to worry, as some of the guys suggested make sure the cooling system is 100%.

Flush and refill with good quality coolant at the recommended dilution, refill the silicon oil in the viscous fan (or get a new viscous coupling, RT do the AISIN one I think) make sure your ATF is nice and red (if not flush and refill a few times with new ATF) and make sure the thermostat opens and closes, if in doubt get it replaced.

After that, you are in the hands of the gods.

Good luck!

Comment

I really shouldn't tempt fate like that! after saying mines faster now that it ever was the bstd crawled up our road like it was dying now what?

Comment

Well changed the speed sensor today and still doesn't work so guessing it's change the clocks next, any good breakers to try? Thanks

Comment

Regards od light flashing, I've done the diagnostic test and code got code 9 for no speed signal, will this still be related to the clocks themself or something else?

Comment

Working...
                              X