No announcement yet.

missfire on LEXURF III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just tested them , as they show on youtube etc , and if I'm reading it right two of mine are in the 10 zone while the read 3 or 4 , what I'm thinking is when it's got a lot of juice flowing through it the resistance will go up a load, I looked on the MAG site and their leads have a core protected by tin foil (looks like that) and on one of mine this had been worn away.
    Alex the bit of plastic is like some sort of air box under the intake pipe between the MAF housing and the butterfly housing , it's a black heavy duty plastic pipe that fits to the butterfly housing with a juby clip and mine seemed to have some sort of plastic housing under it that has always stopped me from taking the HT leads off of the left bank without first taking off the whole intake unit ,ie pipe, MAF housing and filter. So I have just hacked it off with a grinder and a saw, special engineering like ha ha ha .
    No king of England is not king of France

Comment

Originally posted by 3 LIONS View Post
      just tested them , as they show on youtube etc , and if I'm reading it right two of mine are in the 10 zone while the read 3 or 4 , what I'm thinking is when it's got a lot of juice flowing through it the resistance will go up a load, I looked on the MAG site and their leads have a core protected by tin foil (looks like that) and on one of mine this had been worn away.
      Alex the bit of plastic is like some sort of air box under the intake pipe between the MAF housing and the butterfly housing , it's a black heavy duty plastic pipe that fits to the butterfly housing with a juby clip and mine seemed to have some sort of plastic housing under it that has always stopped me from taking the HT leads off of the left bank without first taking off the whole intake unit ,ie pipe, MAF housing and filter. So I have just hacked it off with a grinder and a saw, special engineering like ha ha ha .
      Even if the lead tests out ok, don't forget that if its worn through the insulation this could short from this point the closest metallic point other than the spark plug and prevent the plug from functioning.

Comment

I think you are dead right Ultimagtr21, I mean when I looked I could see right into the central core of the lead so it could well have been shorting under load.
        Anyway trying to buy 2 single MAGNICORE leads is impossible so I have opted for a set of standard leads at about 1/3 rd the price I paid for the MAG's, and perhaps I can even use the original holders (on one side at least).
        I liked the old copper cored wire leads but they don't do them for the LS, at least you got a good spark with no resistance.
        BTW Ultimagtr21 what number conversion was yours . I'm trying to think if I can remember any of your photos he took while doing it ? It's red I can see ,did it have a big winch on the front and the engine parts black,?
        Mate I am stupid , I just looked at the forum and your name with Lexurf X is on a thread so it's number 10
        Last edited by 3 LIONS; 24 August 2016, 20:17.

Comment

Mate I am stupid , I just looked at the forum and your name with Lexurf X is on a thread so it's number 10
          You must be feeling old if he's 10
          Yes it's a V8, don't you know I'm loco?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKzn130 View Post
            You must be feeling old if he's 10
            Haha funny that. Yes mine was 10. No winch bumper and engine parts done silver and red.
            No longer referring to mine as Lexurf X as to be honest it's the worst experience I've ever had car related. I would go as far as to say I'd rather have kept it 3 litre diesel than go through all the crap that I've had to. The Lexus badge removed from grille and Toyota put back on.
            I've sorted out all the leaks, the seats, the oil coolers and few other bits.
            Still to do is bonnet, paintwork, wiring inside, exhaust, clean up and paint undernieth-chassis, diffs etc, repaint fuel tank, extend filler hose, cut hole under rear seat for access to fuel pump in tank.
            New set of leads definately first thing to do to see how yours run then.
            Don't know how much 2nd hand ecu would be, but there are people out there who repair them.

Comment

I
              Well it was fun while it lasted my maf gave up and I'm now in a worse state than before

Did u come to the conclusion that ur new maf didn't rectify the problem if so can I buy ur old one?

Can't imagine it can be worse than my stuttering f#*k of an engine now

Comment

I think you are dead right Ultimagtr21, I mean when I looked I could see right into the central core of the lead so it could well have been shorting under load.
                Anyway trying to buy 2 single MAGNICORE leads is impossible so I have opted for a set of standard leads at about 1/3 rd the price I paid for the MAG's, and perhaps I can even use the original holders (on one side at least).
                I liked the old copper cored wire leads but they don't do them for the LS, at least you got a good spark with no resistance.
                BTW Ultimagtr21 what number conversion was yours . I'm trying to think if I can remember any of your photos he took while doing it ? It's red I can see ,did it have a big winch on the front and the engine parts black,?
                Standard OEM spec leads on eurocarparts - £74.
                Have you looked at the inside of the dizzy cap and rotor arm on that failing bank?

Comment

I don't know if the other MAF's I have are any good Alex there is a way of testing them on lextreme site with a multimetre but I ain't done that yet , will get back to you. If I was you I would look into seeing if a newer version (LS 430) can be fitted in to the air intake system , the old ones are almost impossible to find in UK under 180 squid, and even then you don't know if they are going to work or for how long.
                  Either way Alex it's a 5h1t bit of luck for you to have to put up with.

Ultimagtr21 sounds like your truck was an absolute nightmare of a job to get sorted, what ever got into him. It's mad that you still have all that work to do to the thing. I must admit I wish now I had spent the money on getting a V8 for the old Transit and just left the Surf with the snowboarder I got it from , the thing has been a pain to get bits for as long as I have had it , not so much the engine conversion though more the original Yota parts. My tranny has an old 3L Essex V6 in it with dual downdraught carbs and a manual box and when it go's wrong you can sort most of it with spanners and ratchet, the LS on the other hand needs a computer tester to tell you what is wrong , hey I'm a bit old school and now some stuff is going wrong with the LS400 engine it's starting to tell with my lack of knowledge of them ,ha ha ha .
                  BTW I tried a new set of leads and still same misfire , now the last test I can do is the other coil with multi tester and there is one plug I couldn't get to due to the servo in the way , I went and got a flexible socket bar (looks like a heavy duty pipe bender), so will try these two then I'm going to hold my hands up and say I have no kin idea as to why it's missing..

plus I want to say thanks for both of your suggestions guys.
                  Last edited by 3 LIONS; 27 August 2016, 12:18.

Comment

I don't know if the other MAF's I have are any good Alex there is a way of testing them on lextreme site with a multimetre but I ain't done that yet , will get back to you. If I was you I would look into seeing if a newer version (LS 430) can be fitted in to the air intake system

BTW I tried a new set of leads and still same misfire , now the last test I can do is the other coil with multi tester and there is one plug I couldn't get to due to the servo in the way , I went and got a flexible socket bar (looks like a heavy duty pipe bender), so will try these two then I'm going to hold my hands up and say I have no kin idea as to why it's missing..

plus I want to say thanks for both of your suggestions guys.
                    Yes i been looking into the ls430 maf and its defo something im gonna do, from what i can find out its a different connector so would have to wire the connector to the 400s wiring and also its a different shape so will probably get rid of the maf housing and fit a straight alum tube and drill fitment holes for the 430s maf
                    The reason i wanted your old maf is i got a 200 mile trip coming up and don't fancy the maf now lol

in regards to the multi meter test its the red and black leads on pins number 4 and 5, the resistance (ohm) reading at 20 degreesC should be between 2-3 OHMS

If your HT's ain't worked i still got those service manuals available if you want, might help with trouble shooting

Comment

I recon you would be best to fit the whole housing between the butterfly valve and the air filter from say a 1998 or perhaps 97 LS , the MAF looks like a torpedo set in a cross hairs and I think the whole housing is black plastic ?
                      No the HT leads did sweet f all, and that's a coil , HT leads and a MAF(used), that I have spent out on, as a last resort I tried to remove plug in cyl No 8 as it's the only one I have not checked due to the way the servo is smack above it and getting any sort of socket on it is a no go , in fact this next bit is kind of funny, well if you didn't laff you would cry, today I went into town and picked up a flexible extension 300mmlong with a 3/8 's ratchet fitting ,made by LASER ?,to bend down into the plug hole so I can get to the plug to remove it, so I stuck the plug socket on one end and the ratchet bar on the other went to undo the plug and the flexible extension just twisted round like a 'kin' spring and the plug didn't move , bare in mind all the others only needed a little nudge to remove so it isn't that tight, but no this flexible extension is exactly that , it's so 'kin' flexible it just twisted up into a knott.
                      In fact I might have had the same result had I gone down to local shop and paid a lot less for a chocolate flake and stuck that on the end of the plug !!
                      So if you think they might be a good idea stay well clear of them because they are useless, now I'm going to search about for two knuckle joints to put together to worm about in the No 8 plug hole to get the thing out to see if it's messed up , chances are it's ok , but it's gone so far I now have to know, ha ha ha . Like I said if I didn't laff about it I would cry !!

Comment

http://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/3901
                        this does not do what it is advertised as, it actually says for getting to deep seated spark plugs

Comment

I recon you would be best to fit the whole housing between the butterfly valve and the air filter from say a 1998 or perhaps 97 LS , the MAF looks like a torpedo set in a cross hairs and I think the whole housing is black plastic ?
                          No the HT leads did sweet f all, and that's a coil , HT leads and a MAF(used), that I have spent out on, as a last resort I tried to remove plug in cyl No 8 as it's the only one I have not checked due to the way the servo is smack above it and getting any sort of socket on it is a no go , in fact this next bit is kind of funny, well if you didn't laff you would cry, today I went into town and picked up a flexible extension 300mmlong with a 3/8 's ratchet fitting ,made by LASER ?,to bend down into the plug hole so I can get to the plug to remove it, so I stuck the plug socket on one end and the ratchet bar on the other went to undo the plug and the flexible extension just twisted round like a 'kin' spring and the plug didn't move , bare in mind all the others only needed a little nudge to remove so it isn't that tight, but no this flexible extension is exactly that , it's so 'kin' flexible it just twisted up into a knott.
                          In fact I might have had the same result had I gone down to local shop and paid a lot less for a chocolate flake and stuck that on the end of the plug !!
                          So if you think they might be a good idea stay well clear of them because they are useless, now I'm going to search about for two knuckle joints to put together to worm about in the No 8 plug hole to get the thing out to see if it's messed up , chances are it's ok , but it's gone so far I now have to know, ha ha ha . Like I said if I didn't laff about it I would cry !!
                          That sounds like the sort of luck I would have lol

How long did u maf take to come from the states? As I remember it was quick no? Can you remember the sellers name I'll see if I can get one from them

Comment

http://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/3901
                            this does not do what it is advertised as, it actually says for getting to deep seated spark plugs
                            That should not be advertised for removing spark plugs - no leverage on them whatsoever!
                            You need the correct length of extension bar on the socket then a knuckle joint on the end of the extension. A good socket set has all the right bits for it.
                            Is there any one near you with another converted truck that you could try the ecu?

Comment

Alex it was from this lot.
                              http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90-93-Lexu...gAAOSwHnFVq~JL
                              and it said it would be here by 22nd of Aug but was here by the 20th so good service I thought , I did have to pay import tax though , about 14 squid but when I tried to get one in UK they all wanted in excess of £150 and that was untested, so it was still cheaper , it got here in about 6 days from California.

No Ultimagtr21 ,there is no one near by that I could try the ECU, are people still doing these conversions after us lot, I mean it got up to I think XIII ? didn't it and then B waker left the forum after yours and another guys messed up trucks. I thought that would be the end of any conversions?

does either of yours have the brake servo right above cylinder 8 or is it just that mine is an old 1990 LN130 and the position is different on both your trucks? What I need is 2 elbow joints and then the plug socket, but they have to be 3/8 as the 1/2 inch elbow joint wont go down the sparkplug hole.
                              I'm determined to get to it somehow, but am now thinking if the problem is electrical and that plug ends up being ok then it's sensor problem or like you said poss ECU, if it's not electrical or fuel related then there is clearly something expensive wrong, I don't see how it was ok when I parked up then next day it was running terrible ?

Comment

Alex it was from this lot.
                                http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90-93-Lexu...gAAOSwHnFVq~JL
                                and it said it would be here by 22nd of Aug but was here by the 20th so good service I thought , I did have to pay import tax though , about 14 squid but when I tried to get one in UK they all wanted in excess of £150 and that was untested, so it was still cheaper , it got here in about 6 days from California.

I thought that would be the end of any conversions?

does either of yours have the brake servo right above cylinder 8 or is it just that mine
                                I just bought a maf from them, fingers crossed it gets here before my camping trip

I can't imagine vince has taken on more coversions i think the only people doing them now are the clever clogs DIYers, best way probably least you know the quality of the work when you do it yourself, if i had the space and money id love a project like that, id do a full rebuild on the engine and supercharge it thou, proper sleeper, just imagine the look on the guy at the lights face in his leased bmw when you rip up the tarmac

My servo is near cyl 8, i wouldn't say its right above it, at a glance i don't feel i would struggle with access apears to have ample room but i suppose i won't know till i try

Comment

Working...
                                X