No announcement yet.

scott-lee's V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

found a power file at work.dammit. wish i'd known about it last year.

this is turning out quite nice indeed.
    shame its not mine

Comment

Originally posted by scott-lee View Post
      found a power file at work.dammit.
      I think the BBC had a lot of these in the 70s and 80s.

Oh, POWER-FILE....
      Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

lol!
        very topical .

Comment

bit more done to the Overfab plenum this week.

coming along,nicely. i get some odd requests from people,when it comes to making stuff,this week was no exception.

all good fun though.

Comment

just when you think you have it all, more parts are needed.

how far do you go? or more to the point,if you don't replace it now,while its in bits,how much effort is it going to be later?
            so ,starter motor re-build kit ordered,crank position sensors,and a few other bits around the £10 mark,which would be a major strip down ,if they go wrong.

Comment

Some people have told me I should change the head gasket (official Toyota, not fleabay) as it's easy enough on the stand. Others have said there's no point...others who have done plenty of these. Same with the starter motor. Both sides of the argument come from experienced dudes.

Guess (after the timing belt, water pump and some other little bits) it's down to personal choice and risk.

I'm chasing perfection so much I might never get to finish it.

You'll end up with a full strip-down and probably re-bore the head! Ha!

Comment

Ive had to remove the starter whilst in the car, which is manifold off job (same with cam sensors). For sure would have been easier on the stand as its a bit fiddly round the back of the engine. Swapped over the coilpacks too on the car they are easily accessible

Comment

I left the head gaskets, they aren't a weak point on these anyway, and I didn't see any benefit in disturbing them if they were good.

I did rebuilt the starter motor though (which was perfect)
                  and replace:
                  Water pump
                  front/rear crank seals
                  cam belt
                  cambelt pulleys and tensioner
                  Cam cover and spark plug valley gaskets
                  All injector o rings and seals

I bought new camshaft oil seals, but didn't fit them as it involved taking the VVTi assembly apart, the VVTi actuators seems jammed in and I didn't want to use excessive force for something that didn't need to be done.

If I was doing it again I'd rebuild the power steering pump too.. mines not leaking yet, but there is slight oil residue at the back of the pressure relief mechanism.

Also.... you have no idea how luck you are that you have shim over bucket valve clearance adjustment...

mine need doing now, and that's cams out.
                  More Lift.
                  More Tyres.
                  More Engine.

Comment

yep, got water pump,timing belt and tentioners,all new electrics,and a full gasket set. two sets of injector seals and filters,new PCV grommet,and spark plug seals. going the full nine yards. having a problem getting starter motor out,seems stuck in there.WD40 and perseverance will solve that ,though.

Comment

Scott, what did you use for wax on the wheels? Should be getting my refurbed splits back next week, will be waxing them and then fitting them once my current tyres are done... They are 6 months old but I must be doing 25K this year.

I'd swap the tyres across but the splits are 17's and the current wheels are standard 16's.

Comment

Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post
                        Scott, what did you use for wax on the wheels? Should be getting my refurbed splits back next week, will be waxing them and then fitting them once my current tyres are done... They are 6 months old but I must be doing 25K this year.

I'd swap the tyres across but the splits are 17's and the current wheels are standard 16's.
                        i use a product called ''RIMWAX'' .go on ebay and get it,
                        for the love of god, do NOT google rimwax.
                        my eyes are still burning from what i saw!

Comment

Originally posted by scott-lee View Post
                          i use a product called ''RIMWAX'' .go on ebay and get it,
                          for the love of god, do NOT google rimwax.
                          my eyes are still burning from what i saw!
                          I can already imagine

Comment

extremely busy recently, but progress is being made.

getting close to putting on the new parts,re-fitting the plug and play loom, and re-assembly .

Comment

Loving this build thread Scott, keep up the good work!

Comment

thanks,john.
                                few more pictures,of the on going work to the truck. decided against making up a bumper,as i don't think it would look right with a ''winch'' type look,even though i had a nice design that was almost,front on,very similar to the Deceptacon logo. but that would need plating to match the overall effect,so i came up with an alternative . i used the bar and side steps off my honda CRV. really suprised that the honda steps were longer than the surf,had to cut 3'' off each end.
                                but the ''shiny'' theme,now flows down the truck,quite nicely.

Comment

Working...
                                X