yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie with a Question (first of many, probably!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with a Question (first of many, probably!)

Hi All

Took ownership of a 1993 Surf LN130 2.4 TD automatic about a month ago. All seamed ok on the drive home but recently I get a vibration (Like driving along an old rumble strip) above about 2000-2500 RPM. the truck is a little slow at changing gear into top without letting off less than 1/2 throttle but then feels like it is sticking in top when braking or slowing down. This fault was intermittent but is getting to be more the norm. When the throttle is released the RPM drops quickly to about 1000 when all is well but when the vibration is happening the RPM falls very slowly when the throttle is released. I have changed the transmission fluid twice and the level is in the middle of the cut outs when hot. I'm really stuck with this and a bit loathed to drive it until I can sort it as I'm not sure if I'm damaging something? The engine revs fine in park and neutral and when this vibration is happening I can easily maintain 70mph so don't think I'm losing power.

Any help would be gratefully received
    Cheers
    Lea

Forget about it being a Surf, treat it like you would any other car as far as this type of problem is concerned.
    Don't want to point you in any one direction as it could be a number of things to be fair.
    However, if you've changed the transmission fluid and the filter and have the correct amount showing on the dipstick ( i normally start mine and let it warm up, then move the gear selector through all the gears, leaving it in each gear for about a minute, while sitting on level ground, then leave it in park and idling while I check the level
    It might be something to do with the torque converter or the internals of the auto box itself.
    On the other hand, check your brakes in case their sticking on
    Check the Propshaft's and UJ's
    Check all bearings
    Make sure it's not in 4wd if driving on the road
    Check the wheel alignment

Start with the easy or cheap stuff and hopefully you'll find the problem.

I'm sure there'll be more suggestions to follow

Comment

Hi Rebel,

Thanks for the reply, that's the method I used to checked the level. I didn't change/clean the filter though. that involves taking off the bottom plate of the transmission, yes?

As for the other things you mentioned, they are on my "to do" list this weekend.

Will post on here anything I find

Comment

It's not the throttle cable sticking is it? That could be why the revs take a while to drop down. I am by no means an expert in this sort of thing, but could be something for you to think about
        Hope you get it sorted

Comment

Originally posted by LeaDale View Post
          Hi Rebel,

Thanks for the reply, that's the method I used to checked the level. I didn't change/clean the filter though. that involves taking off the bottom plate of the transmission, yes?

As for the other things you mentioned, they are on my "to do" list this weekend.

Will post on here anything I find
          Yeah, the bottom plate needs to come off, the filter should be just behind it. You'll need to drain the fluid before removing the plate though, otherwise it'll get very messy lol

Comment

OK, a bit of an update. New ATF and filter cleaned in transmission (nothing out the ordinary found!). Engine oil and filter change and removed after market cone air filter returning it to stock setup with new air filter (both jobs on my list to do).

Truck accelerates OK and before changing into top gear will drop to 750rpm when throttle released. After about 45mph it changes into top, drives OK will sit easy at 70mph but as soon as throttle released driving over rumble strip happens all the way down to about 25mph. If I stop its fine again until it changes into top gear. I am leaning more towards the torques converter as it seems to be a shifting problem, Am I on the right track?? If so what sort of cost am I looking at? ( I am able to fit it myself)

Once again thanks in advance of any help

**More "Diagnostics!"**
            I think I have narrowed down when and what happens:
            Accelerate to 2500rpm, truck changes gear ok and slows ok until I go over 2500, then the vibrations (like driving a rumble strip). the truck changes gear into top 'a bit laboured' but then when I slow (release the throttle) big vibrations all the way down to 1000rpm, as though the engine is being held back. I would say as though you braked in a manual without pushing in the clutch. the truck doesn't stall though. it does change down if I accelerate or hit the throttle as I'm slowing it feels as though it has dropped a gear but the vibrations on engine slowing remain until I stop and then the process starts again, in that all is well until changing into top or go over 2500rpm (I tried doing it on my way to work without overdrive so it didn't change up but the problem still occured above 2500rpm)

Cheers
            Lea
            Last edited by LeaDale; 3 May 2017, 09:10.

Comment

Solved (I think!!)

Took off the prop shaft today to replace a leaking rear diff pinion seal and found that the bearings in the back UJ are completely shot. Hopefully when the parts come I can get it back together and solve the vibrations.

Thanks for the replies and the help,
              Lea

Comment

FYI, Ya could run ya Truck with the rear propshaft removed (put it in 4wd) to check if the vibration has disappeared ...
                Good Luck

16+ Years of Surfs, 9 years on Spotless it ain't but Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !!
                Buncefield Burner

Comment

Agree with the above,
                  Definitely worth trying, sounds like you may have found the culprit though

Comment

Replaced diff pinion seal this evening and took it out in 4wd and no vibration! Replaced the uj on the prop shaft during the week and fitted it this evening, went out for a quick run and the vibrations etc have all gone! Thanks for the advice everyone,

Lea

Comment

Glad you cured it

Comment

Working...
                      X