Rear axle removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear axle removal

I have noticed a very small drip coming from my diff , when I got the surf it came with a replacement axle , is it a hard job to swap over axles or is there a way to seal the diff , which would be the easiest way , it looks like someone has tried to seal the diff by painting some sort of white sealer on it , just seems a lot of work changing axles because of a very small leak , what do you all think , thanks

Where is the leak from ? a couple of pics might help with answers.

Does the new axle have the same ratio diff in it ? if not you could screw up the transmission if you use 4 wheel drive!!

Comment

Hi , I will try and post a pic tonight

Comment

Here is some pics of the existing axle where leaking and replacement axle
        Attached Files

Comment

It's easy.

4 nuts and bolts on the prop,
          A nut and bolt on each control arm,
          Rear ARB linkages,
          The rear brake line, the handbrake cable and ABS sensors.
          Be careful with the ABS sensors as they can be tricky to get out and fail.

While the new one is off I'd be tempted to at least replace the rear axle seals and give it a lick of paint. and when fitting treat it to a fresh set of rear shoes and handbrake cable.
          More Lift.
          More Tyres.
          More Engine.

Comment

Thanks for the reply , how can I tell if the new axle is the correct fit as it came with the surf , is there a easy way to tell

Comment

If you don't know the axle code off the VIN plate you will need to remove the diff and count the teeth on the crown wheel and pinion gear.

Some people are satisfied enough with turning the input shaft and measuring how much the wheel hubs turn and comparing it to yours to see if the ratio is correct.. I'd personally like to know for sure. I don't recall seeing the ratio stamped into the Toyota factory units, but I may be wrong.

You could always put your diff in the new casing if its different. you'll need a seal for it, and I'd assume a few new nuts and studs as it looks quite corroded.

Few pics of my build here to see an axle apart.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...t=79539&page=8

I swapped for a land cruiser one, but the only difference is the rear brakes.
              More Lift.
              More Tyres.
              More Engine.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback , sounds complicated to me , I think your surf looks fantastic

Comment

Working...
                X