Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Over-drive 3.0 surf gen 2

Hi..
    I have lost Overdrive and the other 3 gears seem to change up at slightly higher revs than normal !?
    i have checked the transmission oil and done a visual under neath the car
    the surf has done 180000kms.
    Can anyone advise please. i have looked on the forums and a dodgy ECU has been mentioned... Mine is kzn130 3.0 auto part No 89661-3D100 if there is one for sale on here please..

Thanks

Originally posted by john deere View Post
    Hi..
    I have lost Overdrive and the other 3 gears seem to change up at slightly higher revs than normal !?
    i have checked the transmission oil and done a visual under neath the car
    the surf has done 180000kms.
    Can anyone advise please. i have looked on the forums and a dodgy ECU has been mentioned... Mine is kzn130 3.0 auto part No 89661-3D100 if there is one for sale on here please..

Thanks
    Hi John

Your syptoms are exactly like mine...just started within the last week or so. Your right also when you say the gear changes are a bit more aggressive. When the overdrive was working it was smooth through all the gears. Can you tell me if you got it sorted

Best regards

Andy

Comment

Try pulling the overdrive codes from the diagnostic port in the engine bay using the paperclip method (counting the overdrive flahes on the dash), search it on here. It might show a faulty solenoid.
      Cheers

Comment

Thanks but codes and everything that goes with it is beyond my knowledge

Comment

Originally posted by axelgs1 View Post
          have you checked the condition of the transmission fluid? i would change that first to see if it makes any difference.
          SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Makes sense Charvell . .will do thanks

Comment

It's really easy to pull the OD codes out, 2 minutes job, even I managed to do it, all you need is a paperclip. Try searching using the search button , if you can't find the right thread I will post how to do it when I get to my computer, using a tiny rubbish phone at the moment.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by tashtego View Post
                It's really easy to pull the OD codes out, 2 minutes job, even I managed to do it, all you need is a paperclip. Try searching using the search button , if you can't find the right thread I will post how to do it when I get to my computer, using a tiny rubbish phone at the moment.

Cheers
                Thanks mate if you could send me the details I would be very grateful

Regards
                Andy

Comment

Thanks mate if you could send me the details I would be very grateful

Regards
                  Andy
                  Sure. In the engine bay you should have a small plastic box saying 'diagnostic' on the cover
                  Lift the cover and you will see a drawing of the lay out, showing a name for each port (much like the inside cover of the fuse box).
                  Now with the ignition off, open up a paperclip and use it to bridge the terminals called E1 and TE1
                  Male sure both ends of the paperclip are are well wedged in so they make proper contact
                  Now go to turn the ignition key so that the panel/dash lights up (don't start the engine!)
                  As you turn the key your OD light on the dash will start to flash. Some flashes, then a pause, then some other flashes. Count both sets of flashes and Google them(I think they re the same for all Toyotas) or post them on here. For example, if it flashes 3 times and then pauses and then flashes 4 times the fault code is 34. The code will be repeated as a cycle, 3 then pauses then 4, then pause, then 3 again etc
                  If it just flashes intermittently without a pattern then look elsewhere, like ecu etc.
                  The OD codes show up electrical faults within the auto box, such as faulty solenoids etc.
                  I had lost first gear and that was a faulty solenoids that I needed to replace

Let us know how you get on.
                  Last edited by tashtego; 26 August 2016, 07:31.

Comment

Thanks TASHTEGO,
                    Found the diognostic module and your right my freind looks easy ..will hook the terminals at the wkend and I will let you know the result for sure. I'm also going to change the ATF fluid as well as I think this may be the issue. The colour of it is light brown instead of bright red. This maybe the problem or ading to it. ..what do you think?

Many thanks for your help again

Regards

Andy

Comment

Sure it could be the problem or add to it. drain and refill and see what happens. You can do it a few times if you really want to get the oil nice and red.
                      Good luck with the codes!
                      Cheers

Comment

Tashtego Hi

Did the test diagnostic overdrive light just flashes constantly. ..no patterns. ..any ideas or giudence would be appreciated

Thanks

Andy

Comment

Sure,

did you bridge E1 and TE1?

If the OD light flashes constantly then no faults to do with the autobox have been stored in the ECU.

I am not sure if that automatically means that the ECU has a problem. You can send it to the ECU doctor in Plymouth to be checked and, if needed, reconditioned.

Did you drain and refill the brown ATF?

Cheers

Comment

Hi tashtego
                            Yes I did bridge the TE1 and E1 terminals.....engine check light came on flashing..pressed OD button to on...OD light flashed constantly.....no haven't changed fluid yet....

Comment

Do the ATF first, since it needs doing, and then see how it goes.

Search on here how to drain/refill ATF.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X