Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LN130 dying

Hi,

I've got an LN130 1990. This only started happening a few days ago. I'm driving along and the engine dies. The dash will still light up and the engine will still crank over, but it wont start. It normally happens after about 20 mins driving or so. Then after about 3-5 minutes I can start again. Each time this happens I've been fiddling with the fuse board by the throttle pedal to try and find the problem but nothing is obvious. I was thinking it might be one of the relays down there. Or a relay or electrical connection somewhere....probably a diesel supply problem?

Thanks in advance for any hints/tips

I think it's probably the starter relay located in the engine bay on the passenger side. the surf didn't want to start about 10 minutes ago. So I gave the relay a few good solid taps and she started right up. does that sound like a reasonable assessment?....It could have been a pure coincidence though too.

Comment

unless it coughs and splutters when it dies probably not fuel related
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Maybe not the answer but replace the tiny o-ring on the filter drain tap. These can cause air to be sucked in if not sealing properly.

Nev.

Comment

So my problem still persists and I was towed home on Friday. One of the relays heats up so much its almost too hot to touch. the relay is beside the fuse board in the drivers foot well. the upper forward most relay.
          so there must be a short circuit somewhere. Also when the hilux is turned off and the key is not in the ignition, i can feel and hear the relay switch on/off as i put it in and out of its socket.
          Any one any ideas on where to first look for a short. Also does anyone have a wiring diagram?
          LN130 1990 2.4
          Attached Files

Comment

Need your Model and Frame number to look up what relay that is.

Nev.

Comment

Model No:Q-LN130G-GKMGX
              Frame No: LN130-0028893

After doing some more fiddling last night, I found that if I wobble/shake an area of wiring and the thing shown in my hand (shown in the photo), the short will intermittently go away. However, still wont start.
              By the way what do I have in my hand in the pic? it just beside the alternator.

Cheers Nev!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrJones View Post
                Model No:Q-LN130G-GKMGXFrame No: LN130-0028893
                It's a 6/90 model. 2L-T.

As far as I can see that relay should be for the sunroof according to the EPC. Is there a part number on it?

Nev.
                Last edited by NiftyNev; 24 August 2016, 09:09.

Comment

Originally posted by MrJones View Post
                  By the way what do I have in my hand in the pic? it just beside the alternator.
                  Can't see a pic. Maybe don't want to see what's in your hand.

Nev.

Comment

Working...
                  X