Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask for Help

Hello

I have a big problem with my Hilux 3.0 Gen. 2.

I drove yesterday about 200 miles with a 2.0 ton heavy trailer. Whenever I had to drive up a mountain the engine became very warm, (almost in the red area) also the warning (A/t temp) went on. I always drove to parking lots to let the engine and gear cool down.
    There is enough water in the cooler and in the reservoir.

Now to my question, what can be the and what can I do to fix this error, as I have to get away with the heavy trailer again next week.

Thank you very much
    Greeting
    Burkhard
    Red Monster, KZN130 3,0 Litre Diesel

Do you have an external transmission cooler? Transmision fluid is cooled via the radiator bottom tank. Towing can add much more heat to the transmission fluid and this adds extra heat to radiator, which then may not be able to cool the engine properly. Maybe adding an external cooler will solve the problem. This cooler is best fitted to the transmission line before radiator so it cools the fluid before it heats up the radiator.

Nev.

Comment

What Nev said, plus, do not tow with od on unless its a nice long flat. every time the torque converter comes out of lock up, and thats going to be a lot when towing a heavy trailer, you are adding heat to the ATF which in turn adds heat to a cooling system that is already busy. An external cooler is an easy fit though and you dont need to be overcomplicated about it if youre in a rush, as long as it catches a bit of airflow it will be a big help. You can always get more scientific about it before your next big haul.
      Сви можемо

Comment

I would be checking your rad to see if its full of crap!
        Old enough to know better but then again.....

Comment

Originally posted by The Boo Crew View Post
          I would be checking your rad to see if its full of crap!
          Agreed. Also check the Viscous Fan is operating correctly.

Nev.

Comment

as above

check fan
            check or simple replace, the radiator.
            fit external trans-cooler, the biggest you can squeeze in (radiator type and mounted the right way).

Comment

Hello
              Thanks for the helpful answers.

I've done it now (finally) to look it up. So I got the engine warm and then I could stop the fan (with the engine running) with my hand. I even made it without any effort to turn it against its actual running direction (well said, while the engine was running) the engine had operating temperature.

So I think the viscous fan is broken.
              I will reorder this and a transmission oil cooler. As everything is there, built in and I have made a ride with a trailer I will report it.

Greeting

Comment

This is what you need:

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/aisin-vi...210-67010.html

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Peebles05 View Post
                  Hello
                  Thanks for the helpful answers.

I've done it now (finally) to look it up. So I got the engine warm and then I could stop the fan (with the engine running) with my hand. I even made it without any effort to turn it against its actual running direction (well said, while the engine was running) the engine had operating temperature.

So I think the viscous fan is broken.
                  I will reorder this and a transmission oil cooler. As everything is there, built in and I have made a ride with a trailer I will report it.

Greeting
                  i would not try to stop a running fan with my hand
                  easy way is to turn engine off, if fan keeps turning for a bit then its faulty.

no need to replace the fan hub. they jest need the silicone oil replacing. there should be a thread on it around here somewhere. cheap and simple to do.

Comment

So,
                    Now after a long time (a little bit of work) I managed to see my surf completely. Now I have an order list for roughtrax4x4 which costs me 1400 pounds. And these are only spare parts, among other things I also change the exhaust and make all the brakes as well as the rear shock absorbers with springs. The timing belt and the water pump but also a few accessories, such as the white indicators in fenders and the underrun protection. I'm just honest here, a car dealer offered me a Discovery 3. And I was tempted to accept the offer, but I can't, I love the Hilux and he has never let me down so much, and I can fix it to 80% myself thanks to your help. I am and remain Hilux driver as well as classic Mini driver (my wife's).

I am already happy when 70 kg of parts arrive at me and I can dedicate myself fully to my Hilux.

I also want to install a snorkel, but also look for the rear spoiler for the Hilux.

Another thank you to all forum friends

Comment

Well done, it's good that you can do most stuff yourself , you will save some money. Enjoy.
                      But no must say, offering toub

Comment

Well done, it's good that you can do most stuff yourself , you will save some money. Enjoy.
                        But I must say, offering you a Disco 3 for a surf??
                        That's the motoring equivalent of harakiri!
                        There's some unscrupulous dealers out there !!!

Comment

Hello

Although I have ordered the book with Roughttrax 4x4, but I still ask if someone please give me a detailed description of what I need to remove: Change the rear shock absorbers and springs and how best to switch the rear differential gasket. Because I'm running oil from the differential into the brake drum.

Thanks again at this point

Comment

@ Tashtego,

I confess, I've been looking for fun with the Discovery 3, in forums and so on. Honestly, this is not a car for me, the air suspension sounds very nice, but should not be very suitable for large suspension operation, and woe there is something on it, half of the repairs I could not even with the help of a forum. The Hilux remains our family member, no matter how old he is or for damage, this can be repaired and I create many things alone, though not everything.

Comment

Hello,
                              I would like to give an update to my work. On Friday, the packages came with 70 KG in parts.

The steering is replaced, the steering damper, the rear shock absorbers, the head gasket has changed, the viscose fan is changed, and the water pump. And a few small parts like white side flashers, floor mats and a plate on the trailer coupling as well as the underrun protection are installed. And the exhaust

Now missing, the rear springs, all brakes, the shaft seal from the rear axle and an axle sleeve at the front.

And then he's done, but I've also been screwed for days on the street.

Here times pictures

greeting
                              Martin
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X