Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to know when buying an imported car

Hi,

I am hoping to go in search of a surf when I return from South Africa having driven one here and really enjoyed it. I am aware most of the surfs in the UK were imported from Japan.

I wanted to ask:
    1. What the implications of buying an imported car in the UK? (insurance tax)

2. How difficult it can be to register a car in a different country should I decide to bring it back to South Africa?

3. Are there documents I should make sure I receive to make any future exporting easier?

Thanks very much everyone!

Hi there, will be nice to see another surf round these parts if you're returning to Aber.
    No real issues in the uk as far as Jap imports are concerned. Some insurance companies don't like them but that's about it. Try the search this site for info re importing from Japan yourself if that's the route you want to go down. I'm sure a couple of others on the forum can advise re then exporting back to SA although that sounds expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by chefbondy View Post
      Hi there, will be nice to see another surf round these parts if you're returning to Aber.
      No real issues in the uk as far as Jap imports are concerned. Some insurance companies don't like them but that's about it. Try the search this site for info re importing from Japan yourself if that's the route you want to go down. I'm sure a couple of others on the forum can advise re then exporting back to SA although that sounds expensive.
      Yes, in SA big restrictions on Jap imports:Toyota and other Japanese manufacturers have big assembly plants there and they are trying to protect the local market/jobs etc. Which is fair enough I suppose...
      But registering in the UK should be straight forward. There will be an import duty which is normally a percentage of the value.
      Good luck

Comment

Thanks very much for your replies. My plan is buy a surf that has already been imported into the UK. Are you restricted by which insurance companies will insure the car?
        Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by 8pete8 View Post
          Thanks very much for your replies. My plan is buy a surf that has already been imported into the UK. Are you restricted by which insurance companies will insure the car?
          Thanks again.
          Not really most will insure them, look here
          http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1311

Adrian flux seem the easiest to go with as do a few others.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

I just insured mine with Admiral on a multi car got a great deal £506 for both cars..
            GRAVITY IS A MYTH THE EARTH SUCKS!!!

Comment

I Tried Aviva after 23 years with em.
              Very surprised (My age may have made a difference)

Wife's Reno Megan 1.5 Dci, a third of the previous price.
              Original Surf 3.0l (owned 9+ years, Down by half .
              Second Surf 3.0l (owned 6 months) Additional premium
              1997 Mitsubishi Space Gear (owned 3 weeks) Additional Premium
              All Taxed, Mot/ed n Insured with Aviva £600 ish

16+ Years of Surfs, 9 years on n Spotless it ain't but Faultless to a"T" is my Yota !!
              Last edited by Diezel Weazel; 19 May 2017, 23:25.
              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by chefbondy View Post
                I've just moved to the area and went for a 3.0 3rd gen. Obviously no manual and I can't quite work out the 4WD. Would you around at some time to show me how to work it? I would appreciate it. Thanks

Comment

Hi Pete,
                  Yes no problem. Not an expert on off roading but sure I can help you with the new truck.
                  Andrew

Comment

Sorry Chef Bondy just wondering where you take your Surf for any repairs/MOT? Thanks again!

Comment

Hi Pete, sorry not been on here for a little while pressure of work! I do some work myself but use a garage up on top of Blorenge towards Blaenavon, right next to the Lamb and Fox Pub. Mozi Motors a young lad called Gareth. He's been doing the odd jobs for me and is getting to know the truck. He's very cheap

Comment

I never had problems with this.

Comment

Personally I have never done this by myself but I know as well many people that had no trouble with this. Usually when I want to import a car I am finding a company that will do everything for me. Last years I am working with Shipaa and this is a pretty big company, so the service cost is not that big as everybody is expecting. They are solving every problem with the formalities, also they are bringing the car fast enough. Besides that you have a GPS that shows you were is your car at the moment.
                          Last edited by HardMichael; 21 November 2020, 14:33.

Comment

Working...
                          X