What temps are good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What temps are good?

I have an aftermarket temp gauge fitted, truck runs normally from 85 to 90 but on climbs and under heavier load it goes to 95.

Before I did the rad cap mod it made it to 100.

I was wondering what others were getting on there gauges.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

My 2.4 is almost the same as yours - 85 around town. 90 on the motorway. Climbs a little bit higher.

Highest I've had was 106 in Spain after a long mountain climb in 40 degrees ambient temps. Fan came on even though I was moving. Pulled up and left running with bonnet up and interior heaters on full blast to cool the old girl down.

Am looking at a radiator mist system for my 3.0.

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
      I have an aftermarket temp gauge fitted, truck runs normally from 85 to 90 but on climbs and under heavier load it goes to 95.

Before I did the rad cap mod it made it to 100.

I was wondering what others were getting on there gauges.
      Hi Alan . Just done a search for "rad cap mod", but nothing came up. This might make me look a bit dim, but please explain.....Thanks.....Mick.
      " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

See Yoshies thread about aftermarket rads...

Comment

what he ^ said.
          Alan

Comment

My temp mod sits between 75/85 depending on load & hill ect but I've not towed with it yet so I would have thought it will climb to 95ish with the tin box on the back.

Hopefully getting a trans cooler shortly so I will be able to compare temps with & without cooler.
            If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

I was thinking about a trans cooler too Si. Gonna check how good the water pump is first, think it might be needing replaced.
              Alan

Comment

85 degrees centigrade is the minimum you'll get (once the engine is warm), 95 should be the maximum (normal driving). So you're pretty much spot on.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Thats why i did the back-up fan mod, plus extending the heater hoses back to a rear mounted rad and included an electric water pump, it really made a diffenence with that lot in place i was running at around 85 which soon dropped down to the mid seventys when the fans/ pump cut in, since removeing it all (in the process of rewiring everything) and just got the front fans back on it runs up in the high eightys -one hundred, soon as i can get the rear fan and water pump back in it should drop temps back to what they were before, standard truck should be fine at 90-100c tho, it's when it shoots up well above that that the problems start,
                  a trans cooler will also help,
                  Last edited by POPEYE; 10 April 2011, 19:39.
                  Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Thanks for info guys, I was getting a wee bit worried about temps, after fitting an expensive new head.

Got the new oil in the fan now, new rad, hoses are in good nick and the rear heater hoses blanked off, checking coolant on a weekly basis and watching the aftermarket temp gauge like a hawk (slightly paranoid, hence reason for post) so hopefully everything will be ok.
                    Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                      85 degrees centigrade is the minimum you'll get (once the engine is warm), 95 should be the maximum (normal driving). So you're pretty much spot on.

Is this from your experience Andy or did you get these figures elsewhere, just interested incase any I'm offroading and maybe it gets too hot.
                      Whats a safe maximum?
                      Alan

Comment

2.4's I've fitted gauges to seem to run around 90-95, (don't forget the stat opens at 88, so needs to be that hot to be at normal operating temp) there is a long steep hill near me that is 2nd gear foot on the floor, and they get to 105-110, but soon cool again as soon as you back off the throttle. 105 is around when the extra electric fan comes on.
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                          Is this from your experience Andy or did you get these figures elsewhere, just interested incase any I'm offroading and maybe it gets too hot.
                          Whats a safe maximum?
                          The minimum should be around the temperature that the thermostat opens, I think ours are 83 or 85 degrees C. 98 - 100C is the upper end of where we should be running (experience), although quick temperature spikes should be OK.

Just noticed Tony's post, I had to press some buttons (I'm at work), so didn't get this one in quick enough!
                          Last edited by Albannach; 10 April 2011, 20:28.
                          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

hehe.

3.0's have 83 (or 82?) deg stats, 88 for the 2.4. (and before anyone with a 2.4 asks, they arn't the same size, so you can't swap them...)

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Again, thanks for the replies lads, feeling a bit more confident now.
                              Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X